Saturday, January 19, 2019

Greater sage-grouse: Singing Choral Music online in real real time - and potentially with greatest, and most enjoyable, musical directors?, Have sometimes wanted a tablet for sheet music, but this new 'is it a tablet or 2 smartphones?' ..., For ex. with Unitarian Universalist church choirs - Re: [UUCPA Choir] Ways I used to get a sample, Wiki-choosing the most extraordinary musical recordings, and samples? There are so many WONDROUS music videos ON THE WEB, and machine learning can help us find and choose them anew, - in all languages at World University and School, Would be great to generate an online WUaS Symphony and chorus, all in group video from our homes in real real time, Two valleys from the ridge where I live



Thanks Robert, and UUCPA (Unitarian Universalist church choir),

Retweeted this beautiful Stanford Poulenc choral music here - https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch/status/1086335664940044288

May add this to the open editable Symphony_Orchestra_at_World_University_and_School wiki subject page at WUaS - https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Symphony_Orchestra_at_World_University_and_School - and we could begin a /Choral_Music wiki subject page, for ex., to both gather and share samples. (WUaS will connect our "front end" WUaS Miraheze MediaWiki with our "back end" Wikidata/Wikibase in Wikipedia's 300 languages, and this will allow WUaS to expand online universities and schools into all ~200 countries' official and main languages). Here, again, is the open editable World_University_Music_School - https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/World_University_Music_School - and I'm posting below most of the existing music-oriented WUaS page links to give you an idea of the possibilities. 

Would be great to generate an online WUaS Symphony and chorus, all in group video from our homes in real real time. Perhaps we can explore this with the Stanford Symphony and the UUCPA Choir with time. 

Musical cheers, Scott























































Thanks!


* *

Have sometimes wanted a tablet for sheet music, but this new 'is it a tablet or 2 smartphones?' -

https://twitter.com/jblefevre60/status/1086202538162941952 - could lead to too big smartphones ... Am seeking a 24 inch or so tablet for sheet music for music-making, and maybe flexibly for choral music, and singers' folders (https://plus.google.com/u/5/+ScottMacLeodMusicalMacFlower/posts/T3GTwbPSJyz). Would be great however if we could flexibly extend the size of these tablet/2 smartphones ... sort of pull them large to 24 inches or push them small to a single smartphone-size.

Not yet drooling over your large iPad tablet, (but watch out!:),
Scott
- https://plus.google.com/u/5/+ScottMacLeodMusicalMacFlower (new URL!)
- https://twitter.com/TheOpenBand


*

https://twitter.com/TheOpenBand/status/1086329469399224320


* *
Two iPads on a hinge produced by WUaS for the REAL REAL time Music School at WUaS? All Instruments, All languages' WUaS each a wiki page

https://twitter.com/scottmacleod/status/813405061867040768

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ScottMacLeodMusicalMacFlower/posts/T3GTwbPSJyz

*

Dicotyledon: Two iPads on a hinge produced by WUaS for the REAL REAL time Music School at WUaS? All Instruments, All languages' WUaS Music School each a wiki page, Virtual Choirs at WUaS

https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2016/12/dicotyledon-two-ipads-on-hinge-produced.html


* * *

Hi M, 

Woke up to another extraordinary, subtle and lovely sunrise, across the valley to the east. I live between two valleys! So in the Canyon valley, to the west, a wee cloud just floated lovely, in a small arc it was, - and the world on the ridge where I live often treats me to this stereo-valley early morning vision. And I bring these 2 valleys sometimes into conversation inside. Report from your son, another human primate (out of ~7.5 billion), 3.5 billion years after life began - other species all around just passing on their genes.  

Barefoot in Birkenstocks, I walked down into the valley where I live to the Canyon 94516 USPO this morning to pick up two packages, both from Lands' End. Wearing only a single layer pullover too, a kind of jerkin, - had a great walk, on a lovely morning. Canyon is very beautiful ... but after beginning a family hopefully in the next year or two, and perhaps first heading up to Harbin in January 2021, two years from now (with one or two wee bairns in tow?), I'm not sure about living here after 8 years or so. Depends what happens with WUaS and Stanford partly. (After I picked up the well-run Lands' End packages, Amazon texted they would get my new "Winding Road Rainbow" book (2018) to me now by 1/22 (instead of 1/31 to 2/4) where I had hoped I could get copies by Xmas, so 4 weeks ago, and Amazon said they had delivered copies to the Canyon PO on 1/12 ... all a bit of a catastrophe with this messed up company). Saw however Elizabeth Llewellyn drive by as I walked, who bought my "Naked Harbin Ethnography" (2016) just before Christmas, and who looked at me smilingly and wildly and a little bit like a hippy in her early 60s would ... (she's a trip:). 

Walked up the steep hill enjoying the movement for health, back into my house-let, showered, put on my new used tuxedo shirt (for kilt) with character - with way too short sleeves, that I unfold so they are long enough - put in the new cuff links (for $5.99 from the thrift store too!), and feel a bit D'artagnan-ish. Hope my cuff links don't fall out. All for Scottish small piping this evening for an almost Burns' Night gig. As I played my small pipes last night, and hemped and taped up some things, I caught a glint of my 3 strands of Xmas lights (I also have on much of the time) glistening on the metal of my small pipes' bellows. There's an aspect of this glean or shining or sparkling in Scottish culture even (in my experience) ... and possibly re finding a mate, re ruffing up Scottish feathers. Would like to innovate in playing my small pipes daily to Youtube channel ... to make recordings, and see what emerges, as well. 

Jumping to the evolutionary biological re finding a partner to begin a family (and maybe even meeting someone in Stanford Medicine), here are 3 videos of mate selection from nature:

Check out the sage grouse here at about 1 minute:
Mate selection: How animals fight disease - Battle of the Animal Sexes - BBC Wildlife

And these latter two have very loose analogues to "negative vortex" aspects of Harbin Hot Springs' alternative culture even:) 
Elephant Seals fighting

Big Horn Sheep - PT1 - Ram - Big Horns Butting Heads 


You might enjoy this "John Renbourn - The Lady And The Unicorn" album again -  
https://youtu.be/IzSQDuMI7WE - which is very lovely. 

What are you up to this weekend? How are you?

Warm greetings from the ridge above two valleys near a redwood forest in northern California 3.5 billion years after life began (https://www.popsci.com/where-and-when-did-life-begin#page-5) :)

L, Scott


*
Hi M, 

You might enjoy this blog post - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/01/greater-sage-grouse-singing-choral.html (with the email below) - and with a bit of an Unitarian focus as well :)

L, Scott

*
9:57 pm

Evening, M,

Went to Marin Valley - MarVal - a community in Marin ...  for piping gig.

Bloody hell, had left my sheet music at home, I found out about 4:50pm before beginning to play at 5 ... moment of internal crisis ... should I just go home?  Recalled that I had some piping sheet music on my laptop - a MacBook Air laptop computer :) - which was in the car. Got that, found the sheet music, and also played some from memory ... went pretty well despite no music. (Time to smartphone photograph the rest of my favorite music as backup) ...  I prefer playing with sheet music, and it expands my repertory considerably ... of lyrical tunes, my faves. I have good fingers as some pipers would say, and MARVAL is a nice place to play, with a tremendous view of the SF Bay.

I like Fred Dargie Hamilton too, a Scot who has hired me back for 3 years now, with P.H. sponsoring me. Fred and his wife sang a bit. There was a screen overhead for Loch Lomond's lyrics - a first, and good for next year. He had asked me to sing last year, which 'leading' went only so so. But with he and his wife leading singing this year, and with overhead, I have a better sense of what he has in mind, - a fun Scottish evening gathering with singing and piping, and potentially (I think) a warm funny Scottish Master of Ceremonies (MC) who brings it all together. He's a bit of a barker, and I'm a Scottish small piper but ...  He had even written a script which his wife read from. It's also a fundraiser with raffle. Seeing more clearly what he has in mind or wants, there's something to work with in thinking thru next year's. I'm neither a Scottish Burns' night or pub MC nor a Scottish singer, in the vein I think Fred envisions, but with a script I could probably lead both a bit further ...

Tux shirt with character and short sleeves unrolled worked well, hidden under doublet. So did cuff links

Made 275 and dinner.

Quite fun to play thru sheet music this afternoon - before not finding it there at MARVAL. YIKES.

How was your Saturday? And what arevyou up to Sunday?


L,
Scott

PS

While I like the look and feel of my new "Winding Road Rainbow: Harbin, Wandering and the Poetry of Loving Bliss" book on paper, (which 5 copies I picked up at the P.O. on Saturday after all), and they can probably print and bind these overnight - and possibly even with robotics - all from a computer, .... with all of this computing precision and efficiency, they still can't print the title of the book on its spine, and, importantly, they still can't also print the WUaS Press on the spine, and the spine of the book is also still a little rough/imprecise printing-wise as it is (with my name on the spine, but in a kinda messy).  And also I don't think they can print to hardback. Lots of insights for the WUaS Press with machine translation, and online bookstore.



* *
Sunday, Jan. 20, 2019

Morning, M,

At the piping gig last night, I wore too those beautiful hose (kilt socks) which you had knitted for me within 24 or 48 hours in New Zealand in 1993 (when I visited you on Dad's 6 month sabbatical at the University of Auckland), and now with many holes in them they are probably still worth darning, and keeping in operation. They add to my kit. And dang - Scottish goods last for a long time! (As you know, I've had the same kilt since 1975 or 1976. My hair cut too from before Xmas worked out ... with Tuxedo shirt and jabot, I'm no Robbie Burns, but I can kinda look the part of a Scot ...

L said you might be getting 8-12 inches of snow in Pgh. How much snow did you get overnight?

L, Scott





*









...

No comments: