Sunday, November 22, 2015

Chrysanthemum: 4 special gifts including a companion meditation album for all pre-orders of my Actual~Virtual "Naked Harbin" Book. PRE-ORDER AT http://www.scottmacleod.com/ActualVirtualHarbinBook.html, Charles, could you be the Arjuna to John's Krishna, and I the Golden Chariot (I don't know my Bhagavad Gita that well:) ... but all in relation to bringing my Harbin book to publication?


4 special gifts including a companion meditation album for all pre-orders of my Actual~Virtual "Naked Harbin" Book. 
PRE-ORDER AT   
http://www.scottmacleod.com/ActualVirtualHarbinBook.html before February 14th and quickly receive 4 free bonus gifts!




*
Hi, Charles and John,

Greetings on a Friday morning! I'm writing to explore whether you, Charles, could be the Arjuna to John's Krishna, and I the Golden Chariot (I don't know my Bhagavad Gita that well:) ... but all in relation to bringing my Harbin book to publication?

In the Gita, Arjuna, as God, was the adviser to Krishna, as another incarnation of God, as he went into righteous battle on his Golden Chariot (probably not God:) in a mass conflagration between brothers and cousins (peace, people!:). I wonder if you'd, Charles, being willing to guide me and help explain occasionally how the wheels turn as the Golden Chariot - moi - tries to make some movement (the goal is a printed book in hand of highest production value - Farrar, Strauss and Giroux?) as I lay out and execute/carry through a plan to publish my 440 page Harbin ethnographic book manuscript (which will probably be ~ 500 pages with photos) in Google Books for anticipating machine translation into multiple languages, and then beyond this into the self-publishing sphere with ISBN, print on demand, etc (with a new Academic Press at WUaS - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Academic_Press_at_World_University_and_School), and the self-distribution sphere too (for a new planned online all-languages' WUaS Bookstore - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Bookstore_/_Computer_Store_(New_%26_Used)_at_WUaS, as well as on Amazon, etc.) ... simply by answering a few questions I might have along the way.
Some possible relevant Google Books' self-publishing links which I plan to use are below.

And, John, re the first part of the questions I emailed to you 9 days ago, I wonder if you could have a read through this manuscript to try to blue-Krishna-ize (with his flute, and companion) it, even as my manuscript retains its integrity and stays in conversation with Boellstorff's "Coming of Age in SL" (Princeton 2008):

"I'm writing to inquire if you'd be up for being editor for my 1) 440+ page Harbin book, after I finish indexing/editing it" ... I'm indexing page 218 of 440 currently :) ...  (University of Toronto Press project to follow this possibly ...)

Your Arjuna-ness here, Charles, would be invaluable ... and could eventually lead to paid jobs for Friends in Meeting. You know how this publishing process works, having generated a great track record - and with sales ...

My first question in this general vein, Charles, would be: in your experience, would you have the manuscript finished perfectly, with all the photos inserted first, or could I begin adding some of the edited text to Google Books at this point, for me to get the publishing ball and the Chariot wheels rolling, and a sense of how it works and what the following steps would be ... as well as what I need to change for this first wee step?

Thank you!

I'm hoping to be at SFMM this Sunday (after Western Shore Meeting too) ... double dipping here ...:)

Friendly cheers,
Scott


https://www.google.com/googlebooks/partners/

https://www.google.com/googlebooks/about/index.html

https://play.google.com/books/publish/

https://www.google.com/googlebooks/partners/tour.html

https://www.google.com/googlebooks/library/


*
Charles and John,

Thanks so much, Charles. You answered my first initial first question excellently, for which I'm grateful. In the process of formulating these questions, I'm also laying a plan in my mind for how further to publish my Harbin book via Google Books plus for machine learning translation, and at the Academic Press at WUaS. For example, how many and in which formats (e.g. Kindle etc, other languages), beyond print copies, to plan for is another question which I'm asking myself, not in my recent email to you both.

And I'm also planning to give away 4 special gifts - https://plus.google.com/+ScottMacLeodRainbow/posts/2cqEwEeC664 - from my blog for all pre-orders before February 14th, my planned publication date re Stanford Professor Emma Seppala's interesting upcoming book - https://plus.google.com/+ScottMacLeodWorldUniversity/posts/QRnVwhJyxDq. Do you know her work, Charles or John? I've been impressed with her knowledge, research and synthesis - she seems to be figuring out and communicating successfully about how to be happy.

I won't actually be at SFFMeeting itself since there's a new-ish 4th Sunday potluck at the other Quaker Meeting beginning at 10:30ish, so I may try to make it to SFQM at the rise of Meeting. Would either of you like to come to Meeting at 9:30 am chez WS?

John, might I please email you the introduction and first chapter, with tentative photos embedded in the text, of my indexed Harbin manuscript for your thoughts about a final edit and preparing to add this to Google Books (and keeping in mind an excerpted 125-150 page book for the University of Toronto Press)?

Charles, I have another question about preparing indexes and final manuscripts. For example, as I add a few further photos to chapter 1, the pagination<>index will get thrown out of synch. How best to handle page numbering-index shifts in these final production phases? I'm also using as of recently the very helpful Zotero bibliographic software, for books only so far, which might be relevant to this question. 

Thank you, Arjuna and Krishna, both so much! :)

Friendly regards,
Scott






...




No comments: