Sunday, April 23, 2017

Fledermaus: Mouse came out of near my windshield wipers Friday night coming home from UC Berkeley Tourism Studies Working Group (I'm giving a talk on my Harbin book on F May 5!), Glad we're talking about modeling a mouse brain with artificial intelligence by 2020 - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2017/03/molecule-stanford-googles-tom-dean.html - which I heard at Stanford from Google's Thomas Dean, And to this day, we still don't know what happened to that little mouse flying through the night on his moving car jungle gym space ship on Skyline Drive high above Berkeley, "Cheep, cheep" and emergent sound/human language pathways?


Saturday, April 22, 2017

Mouse came out of near my windshield wipers last night coming home from UC Berkeley Tourism Studies Working Group (I'm giving a talk on my Harbin book on F May 5 - http://bit.ly/HarbinBook!) along Skyline Drive, as I was traveling about 20 mph, and crawled up to the roof. I sped up a little to shake it from the car, if possible, and think it's 90-95% likely that it couldn't hold on anyway at 20 mph ... so I may have lost my mouse passenger of the past ~2 years in its rolling mouse castle. There may be more, however, and it may be easy for others to hop up a wheel where I live when parked, but I'll vacuum out the many mouse droppings soon, and hope for the best. The live trap I got many weeks ago may have morphed into the car itself, with the mouse jumping to its freedom in another beautiful part of the woods in which I live.

Soon to hear Schubert's Winterreise for piano and voice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UDOmUcxCk) at Stanford (https://music.stanford.edu/events/daniel-wesche-baritone-and-david-hsu-piano-winters-journey) :)

Pretty here at Stanford ... wondering about whether I'll hear back from C, or the main teacher, B, or other Stanford ceili dancers, about where the best Grateful Dead inspired dances at Stanford are these days (if there are any) on non-Tuesday evenings. :)

Happy Sunday, M!

L,
Scott

*
Sounds like a wonderful children’s story - you made me laugh - I visualize mouse antics of car travel and survival.

L, M

*
Sunday, April 23, 2017

Glad said mouse was able to escape to freedom, M - quite an event in the flash of a moment. Hope I can tell my "Canyon Acrobatic Mouse" stories to my own kids. Quite curious about mouse consciousness too, since this word for awareness might mean both different and similar things for humans and mice. As Acrobatic Mouse poked its head up out of the windshield well, right at the driver's side of the car, it looked aware, and I looked it in its left eye - and it could have seen me / seemed to have seen me (and I don't want to conflate anthropocentrism with mouse consciousness here, but the subjectivity of different individual, and species', consciousnesses is part of what makes the question of consciousness so fascinating) - but how one could use a comparison of consciousnesses between the two species to understand further this idea of consciousness isn't at all obvious, since understanding consciousness as a brain process, and idea, is crazy difficult (it doesn't reduce to a part or process of the brain / bodymind). So I'm glad we're talking about modeling a mouse brain with artificial intelligence by 2020 - e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HazJ7LHihG8 and "Molecule: Stanford & Google's Tom Dean: "Automatically Inferring Meso-scale Models of Neural Computation", Google Brain?, Approaches to Consciousness from this?" ...
https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2017/03/molecule-stanford-googles-tom-dean.html - which I heard at Stanford last October from Google's Thomas Dean, since we know so much much about mouse brain MECHANICS at the atomic/molecular and neuronal cellular levels, as well as at the behavioral/street levels. "Cheep, cheep" and emergent sound/human language pathways?

And to this day, we still don't know what happened to that little mouse flying through the night on his moving car jungle gym space ship on Skyline Drive high above Berkeley  ... but what really happened will have to wait for another day, if, serendipitously, Cam, the Canyon Acrobatic Mouse, might be able to meet up again, and talk ...

L,
Scott



*








...



No comments: