Sunday, July 28, 2019

Double-crested cormorant: Garden Party on Saturday afternoon August 10th around 5 pm on my porch in Canyon in honor of summer * * * Healing ... and re both Allopathic Medicine and Yoga? (Am an appreciator of knowledge-based allopathic medical approaches when they can knowledgeably help ...eg the Stanford Harvard MDs' idea for 3rd & 4th 2nd opinions ... but when not viable, and when one's in pain) ... * * * Manuel Castells, "Communication Power" (2009/2013) - first sentences of chapters from book * * * Sailing ... Jane MacLeod, Peg Parker, Scott MacLeod from Cuttyhunk island's West End with Matha's Vineyard in background #Cuttyhunk #CuttyhunkIsland #MarthasVineyard (and ship in background ) ~ wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Sailing @WorldUnivAndSch ~



Dear Byron and Cindy, and All, 

Am having a Garden Party on Saturday afternoon August 10th around 5 pm on my porch in Canyon in honor of summer - it may be a baby shower too. Potluck. We’ll have tea and veggies - hopefully from my garden in a box! Please come and partake in some yummies. (And, everyone, put your musical instruments in the car .... have invited too some SCD musicians ... who may bring pink and blue Scottish Country Dance sheet music books ... perhaps some of us can explore playing some of these tunes slowly and creatively and in an improvisational way even! Dancing allowed... if we find our way to music-making!)

Greetings from Cuttyhunk island, MA! :) And thanks for your RSVPs thus far!

Take care,
Scott

415 480 4577
670 Ridgecrest Road, Canyon, CA 94516




*
Jonathan Lovell
1:11 AM
to me, lovell


Dear Scott,

Ellen and I will be hosting a Curriculum Study Commission meeting on that day. We’ll be devoting the bulk of the meeting to addressing final details for the 10/4/19-10/6/19 English Language Arts Conference on the Asilomar Conference Grounds—our 68th consecutive meeting in this venue.

We may still have enough umph at the end of the day to drive north to Canyon, but I can’t say for sure.

If you can tolerate a degree of uncertainty about our attendance, that’s the way I’d like to leave things at this point.

Thanks for your understanding.

My very best,
Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone



* *
Thanks for the invite Scott.  Still working on my back.  Researching neurosurgeons as two cortisone epidurals have not worked.  This all takes time - if I do go ahead with it, it will be microsurgery that’s said to be highly successful - still checking out details. Sorry I neglected to reply to your kind offer of yoga book loan.  It’s been a hectic time for me.  Probably not ready for music and dance party on 8/10 yet though it sounds like fun.  My b/day is 8/8 so would have been perfect with some cake!  Enjoy!  

Sent from my iPhone


*
Happy upcoming birthday, Barbara!

May I bring a little cake or some cupcakes or similar by on your birthday for a celebration at your place?

Hmmm .... other approaches to back challenges with successful outcomes? By way of comparison, my right ear eustachian tube dysfunction seems to be changing and developing but is still manageable. Yoga sitting and releasing and forward bending in half lotus mornings daily has some benefits, as do shoulderstands some afternoons. Headstands possibly ... all as movement therapies, with benefits of exercise to the bodymind as a whole as well. Angela's email response (after I was in her course in Berkeley in 2017) to my ETD dysfunction is below, which might be edifying re your ongoing back condition too.

Happy upcoming birthday! A wee celebration with sweet cake chez toi? :)

Scott


October 9, 2017

Hi Scottie in the fab.kilt!

it was so fine to see you in Namaste this weekend and you added some colour and fun to the class!

I just got you email this morning.   I was hacked some years ago and lost everything so have a new address but am not much into social emails so best to just connect with Victor as you have been doing!

Re my EUSTACHIAN TUBE DYSFUNCTION question ...

I suffer also from ringing In the ears....sometimes it is almost deafening but anything to relax tension around the shoulders and neck eases it a bit.

For me it is never the Asana but how I can release and undo tension from inside... 
Computer work inevitably tightens us up in these areas.

I use my fingers and thumbs when lying down to get into the really tight 'ropes' on either side of my neck....great to do it in bet as then I fall way to sleep beautifully!
Staying away whenever possible from loud and mechanical noises, listening to water...ocean waves, rivers, rain, wind in the trees , birdsong...all soothing to the ears.

I guess we have to live with these problems but softening and becoming more receptive is the best help.

Finding a mate is not up to us.  When we are truly ready to be open and loving with ourselves and NO Expectations for others.....just to honour and accept them as they are...there is a chance that something wonderful appears

Expectations will ruin any relationship.  gratitude and love is the best medicine

Lots of love
Angela! 


*
Thanks Scott for the good wishes and your thoughts re healing.  I read Angela’s message to you also.  All good ideas and suggestions.   I’ve been working a long while on alternative healing ways for my back.  I promised I would research the surgery option as it comes highly recommended for my situation (piece of broken off disc sitting on the root nerve at L5) so am doing that now.   It would be microsurgery to merely remove the the piece of disc - no complicated fusion or other spine changes. Of course, if there’s a non-surgery way, I would prefer it!

I’m currently on a gluten-free diet (in addition to my meat, fish and egg-free regular diet).  Am also trying to avoid refined sugar as that also increases inflammation.  So probably cake would not work right now, but that was a kind offer!  I have a new acupuncturist who recommended the gluten-free approach to reducing inflammation (esp in my back!).  Have been doing it a couple of months now.  I am healing but it’s not for sure the microdisc piece will resorb.  Hence the surgery option.  I really want to get back to laying the fiddle!

I hope you are enjoying your time in MA.

CA greetings!
Barbara

Sent from my iPhone


*
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for your nice email, and best wishes in your healing process. (Am an appreciator of knowledge-based allopathic medical approaches when they can knowledgeably help ...eg Stanford Harvard MDs idea for 3rd and 4th 2nd opinions - and eg my friend David T went ro Mass Eye and Ear with his ear balance condition Meniere's disease and had a successful!operation and MA paid for it, ... but when not viable, and when one's in pain ... one searches for solutions ... and I attempt to keep my noninterventionist allopathic medicine skepticism active for self preservation, and to avoid errors to my body ... so all the best in your ongoing search for a therapy that works (would a MD for smarts, knowledge training skill etc do the microsurgery hypothetically? ) ... my own Yoga training and A/V conversation are helpful re my own healing (and am not actively teaching Yoga too these days) and re asana movement therapies (re Dona's Yoga books)  ... so best wishes with your search

Savory gluten-free  birthday cakelets?  LET's explore this possibility after I return to Bay on 7/30. :) Happy upcoming birthday !

Warm regard,
Scott



* * *
Manuel Castells, "Communication Power" (Oxford University Press, 2009/2013):


Chapter 1

Power in the Network Society

What is Power?

"Power is the most fundamental process in society, since society is defined around values and institutions, and what is valued and institutionalized is defined by power relationships. ..."



Chapter 2

Communication in the Digital Age

A Communication Revolution?

"Communication is the sharing of meaning through the exchange of information. ..."



Chapter 3

Networks of Mind and Power

The Windmills of the Mind

"Communication happens by activating minds to share meaning. ..."



Chapter 4

Programming Communication Networks: Media Politics, Scandal Politics, and the Crisis of Democracy

Power-making by Image-making

"Politics is the process of allocation of power in the situations of the state. ..."



Chapter 5

Reprogramming Communication Networks: Social Movements, Insurgent Politics, and the New Public Space

"Change, be it evolutionary or revolutionary, is the essence of life. ..."



Chapter 6

Conclusion

Toward a Communication Theory of Power

"The analyses presented in this book provide, in my view, tentative empirical support for a number of hypotheses concerning the nature of power in the network society. ..."





* * *
Sailing ...

Jane MacLeod, Peg Parker, Scott MacLeod from Cuttyhunk island's West End with Matha's Vineyard in background #Cuttyhunk #CuttyhunkIsland #MarthasVineyard (and ship in background ) ~ (link: https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Sailing) wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Sailing
@WorldUnivAndSch
 ~



https://twitter.com/scottmacleod/status/1155470219579731968
(I think there's a yacht with 3 sails flying behind my mother's head:).






*







...



No comments: