Saturday, July 13, 2019

Galápagos penguin (Spheniscus mendiculus): Family history - MacLeod / Brown / Gilbert / Briscoe / Chadbourne / Lincoln / Kirkbride * * * Both the last names of my father, after James Edward McLeod, and my mother's maiden name Janet Kirkbride Brown, a James A. Brown - 'MacLeod' and 'Brown' - were from Scotland apparently, and I haven't yet found any evidence of who preceded them in Scotland * * * the Chadbourne line is supposed to go back to Edward I * * * Doing Genealogical history via information technologies a flow experience for me - absorbed mind (re Cziksznetmihalyi's book "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" of the same name * * * One genealogy tree for 7.5B people - in WikiTree - with a DNA focus?



Scott MacLeod
Jul 12, 2019, 12:57 PM (2 days ago)
to Susan, Janie, Karen, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod

Dear Susan, (Ma, and Karen, Ann and Cathy),

Warm greetings from Canyon, California 94516 (my home of 12 years in the SF Bay Area, in Oakland's watershed forest), Susan. How are your artistic creations growing - http://www.susanharvey.com/shabout.html?

I've recently been developing a family history tree in Ancestry.com to my amazement - it's a far-reaching & brand new approach to even history (collectively bringing documents together, for ex.) - and wanted to ask if you have the Gilbert family history papers you created years ago in a digital format which you would be willing to share please again? Was it in 1988 that you shared this great resource at the Gilbert / Brown + Family Reunion in Estes Park, CO, or was it since then?

In Ancestry.com - and here's a sharable link for my 629 ancestors I've found so far ... https://ancstry.me/2l5kUSq - I can't seem to find who came before William Gilbert and Mildred Docia Holland (my great grandparents). Who came before William Gilbert and Mildred Docia Holland?  I'm currently in the process of getting the AncestryDNA kit as well.

I'm thankful to my first cousin Mark MacLeod (Gordon's brother's Bruce's son now in Newfoundland) for sharing his very extensive MacLeod family tree in Ancestry, and pointing me in this direction.

How are you and what news? (Am continuing to develop MIT OpenCourseWare-centric World University and School, continuing with my actual-virtual Harbin Hot Springs' ethnographic project, and writing my 4th book to be published this autumn - amazon.com/author/scottmacleodworlduniversity - and continuing too to seek a partner with whom to start a family here!)

Warm regards, Scotty
Have blogged here about how Ancestry.com is 'blowing my mind' a little :) -
- https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/blue-ash-fraxinus-quadrangulata.html
- https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/aurorae-boreraig-isle-of-skye-scotland.html


--
- Scott MacLeod - Founder, President & Professor

- World University and School
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org

- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.



* *

Aurorae: Boreraig, Isle of Skye, Scotland, this cairn to the MacCrimmon pipers, hereditary bagpipers to the Clan MacLeod, but I don't recall (from the 1970s) this particular event of John MacFadyen piping, Musings about the latent, very latent, Scottish IDENTITY I think I learned, and with regards to this web pages' pictures - http://www.clan-macleod-scotland.org.uk/clan-history * * * A kind of a latent MacLEOD identification seemed to happen in our family from when I was 10 or 11 or so at least, I think Dad, with his very Scottish name, Gordon Kenneth MacLeod MD (my name too - Gordon Kenneth MacLeod III, where my nickname is Scott ... and that Dad ... until he became a medical doctor), MacLeod family history emails with my cousin Mark MacLeod, Genealogy and DNA - "I hope that with enough MacLeod DNA we might be able to reduce the uncertainty on where James Edward McLeod was born" - before he arrived on Prince Edward Island in the 1850s, (Ancestry.com related pages/links here - http://scottmacleod.com/family.htm) * * * Having recorded all of the bagpiping tunes in the College of Piping's Green Tutor Vol. 1 on the Scottish Small Pipes on an A chanter, and appreciating how this goal of recording so that others learning the SSP in A could learn with a Tutor (by playing with eventually), I think I'm now going to try to record as many tunes from the CoP Green Tutor Vol. 1 as possible that work on the Scottish Small Pipes on a D chanter - and soon on B flat chanter, which is coming in the mail, Just began a Scott Gordon Kenneth MacLeod family tree in WikiTree - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/MacLeod-2524 ~

https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/aurorae-boreraig-isle-of-skye-scotland.html -




* *
Mark MacLeod
Jul 12, 2019, 5:25 PM (2 days ago)
to me

Scott,

Sounds like you're having fun with Ancestry.com. I also find genealogy interesting from a historical point of view. I have new respect and interest in history as a result. Finding the basic facts is fun - e.g. dates for birth, marriage, immigration, offspring - but it is the back stories that are most fun. For example, my mother is descendant from one of the 'King's Daughters', as are many French-Canadians (https://fillesduroi.org/index.php).

One bit of advice that I don't always follow. Ancestry will often provide a 'hint' that is a link to someone else's tree. I have found these trees to be at times very unreliable sources. Some genealogists have been very careful but I've seen some trees with little to no primary sources and mistakes get repeated. I'm far from an expert but I try hard to add primary sources first and then compare to the work of others.

I presume you've seen Jen MacLeod's 'Generations' document. I think it is the best written record of the MacLeod's starting with James Edward. I'm excited to collaborate on 'version 2'.


Mark


*
Susan Harvey
Fri, Jul 12, 5:27 PM (2 days ago)
to Janie, Karen, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, me, MacLeod

Got your interesting letter and will reply soon.  Brother Pete Gilbert has info on Gilberts and I have forwarded your letter to him.


Susan Gilbert Harvey
Rome, GA
susan@susanharvey.com
www.susanharvey.com


*
Karen Leighty
Fri, Jul 12, 6:35 PM (2 days ago)
to me, Susan, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod

Dear Scott— Your cousin Erica has stirred interest in getting all the Gilbert/Kirkbride stuff we have digitized.  Many of the photos never got captioned, so we’re doing some but guess and by golly.  Cousin Kenny had done an Ancestry.com in 1988, so what you find there  now will probably be more updated.  I’ve been adding to my notes of some of the stories about how grandmother Agnes got here w her parents Jane and George. And we have bits from Uncle Warren about Uncle Johnny (Agnes’ lillllttle brother) and his life as a miner in gold Hill.  My scanner crashed, so progress on this did also...
   Am visiting Sister Leslie in her...uh, facility here in Penna.  So, More anon.
       Love,
Cousin K~~

Washington DC area



*
Scott MacLeod
Fri, Jul 12, 6:51 PM (2 days ago)
to Alden, Karen, Susan, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod

Hi Mark, Alden, Susan, Karen, Janie, Ann and Cathy,

Thanks for all of your emails, Mark, Susan and Karen! I began the following email in reply to Mark, but there are family history in this of us all. Here's the sharing link from my recent foray into Ancestry.com - https://ancstry.me/2JvBqVG - which has been fascinating. (How are you, Alden? Looking forward to hearing from you further, Susan and Karen).

Mark and All, Ancestry.com is very fun. Am appreciating your writing style as well in these regards. Your mother, and the 'King's Daughters' Association in Canada, is a fascinating back story - you have a lot of great Canadian ancestry, Mark!

I'm finding interest today in seeing how far back I can go, and have gotten to a 10th great grandfather from England (name: Hull). And I haven't yet been able to connect up my mother's father Alexander Chadbourne Brown via Gen. Benjamin Lincoln (who accepted the sword of surrender in the American revolution) - and some other Chadbourne family members who were 'actors' in history - with Humphrey Chadbourne on the Pied Cow in the 1630s, son of William Chadbourne from England, and where the Chadbourne line is supposed to go back to Edward I, - but I think this connection is there. (There is/was a Chadbourne Family Association in Maine re this http://www.chadbourne.org/Piedcows/Issue15.pdf too; One Tom Eschweiler who's ancestor married a Chadbourne/Lincoln came to a Brown-Briscoe Family reunion around 1984? in Chicago (at my mother's 1st cousin Alden Briscoe's), and was the president of the Chadbourne Associatino at the time I think. and this was informative. My mother's mother invited him to this reunion).  I also reportedly have an ancestor one Jeremy O'brien who was supposed to fire the first naval shot of the American revolution, and I haven't located him either yet.

And in a mostly English-American and Scottish-American lines of Oscar Gilbert's (mother's grandfather) and Agnes Kirkbrides (mother's grandmother), I think I have two native American ancestors, possibly a Cherokee from Tennessee, and one so-called 'Pocahantas' from Virginia before this (but this is a family story with some speculation).

Both the last names of my father, after James Edward McLeod, and my mother's maiden name Janet Kirkbride Brown, a James A. Brown - 'MacLeod' and 'Brown' - were from Scotland apparently, and I haven't yet found any evidence of who preceded them in Scotland. Ancestry.com may open the way to these lines eventually.

Have seen a Jen20 in Ancestry.com who is Jen MacLeod in ND, I think, a number of times, but haven't seen her 'Generations' document yet. Can you possibly share an Ancestry.com link to it, Mark? Looking forward to seeing the updated 'Generations' document too!

Aggregating family evidence in Ancestry.com is also rewarding thanks to distributed computing, - but I do so judiciously nevertheless. And I find the hints from several generations ago rewarding and generally sound to follow up on - since many people may have settled on the same evidence, and when evidence is scant.

I hope to add further key back stories here - http://scottmacleod.com/ScottMacLeodFamilyHistory.htm (accessible from http://scottmacleod.com/family.htm) - soonish, and would add your James Edward McLeod and Ernest McLeod's having kids' in their 60s and 70s and 80s' story if it's ok with you.

How to connect with Stanford librarian Hilary T in some of these regards I wonder?

Glad you're having fun with exploring this history and these questions, Mark! It's a flow experience for me - absorbed mind (re Cziksznetmihalyi's book "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" of the same name - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/search/label/flow%20the%20psychology%20of%20optimal%20experience - in my daily blog, also something of a writing flow experience:).

Warm regards, Scott

CV: https://goo.gl/JZheSb
https://amazon.com/author/scottmacleodworlduniversity


Scott MacLeod - https://twitter.com/scottmacleod

World Univ and Sch Twitter - http://twitter.com/WorldUnivandSch

Languages - World Univ - http://twitter.com/sgkmacleod

WUaS Press - https://twitter.com/WUaSPress

“Naked Harbin Ethnography” book (in Academic Press at WUaS) - http://twitter.com/HarbinBook

(OpenBand (Berkeley) - https://twitter.com/TheOpenBand ) )



*
Mark MacLeod
Sat, Jul 13, 4:10 AM (1 day ago)
to me

Scott,

I sent you a link to Jen's document via Dropbox. Let me know if you have any issues. I've marked it up a bit. There are a few minor errors and omissions as is always the case with genealogy but overall it is a very well-researched piece of work! It's ready for expansion - perhaps a chapter on the Brown family!

I've done quite a bit of work on the Newfoundland connection through Mary Glynn, Ernest MacLeod's first wife. I also have found a lot of info on George S MacLeod, son of James Edward MacLeod and Ann Bulger. He settled in Portland Maine.

There is a male bias in genealogical work. For example, we are very interested in James Edward's origins but relatively uninterested in the origins of Margaret Emma Barns/Barnes. I've tried to avoid this but I've not been very successful :-)


Mark



*
Scott MacLeod
Sat, Jul 13, 9:21 AM (1 day ago)
to Mark

Mark,

Thanks so much. I haven't had access to Dropbox for many years, and don't know why. Would be interested in seeing Jen's paper. Right now, the paragraphs in previous emails and on family history pages on web are the extent of any chapter on the Brown family history. (Am working on my next book of poetry due out this autumn, and have a next actual-virtual Harbin ethnographic project in the works too, as well as a Stanford-MIT STEM ethos ethnographic comparison since the 1960s book project in mind too).

I found it interesting that Inverness-shire extends to the Hebrides in Scotland here - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverness-shire. As I'm remembering family history mostly from my mother's mother (below), Rachel Gilbert Brown, and my father, I recall one other story from my father (Gordon Kenneth MacLeod MD) about a sheep being stolen in Scotland. Don't recall any other details at all (speculation - James Edward McLeod's line? Legal questions? Feed family? Due to scarcity, a shitty culture of opportunity / caring for all it peoples in Scotland? Reason to leave Scotland for opportunity in Canada?). Moral questions re genealogy I think about (a little): and while I think the Brown/Chadbourne line and MacLeod lines have good/great histories in these senses (re American history / Revolution / immigration), I speculatively wonder whether my father told me this sheep stealing story as an example of possibly questionable-ness re good / bad (possibly illegal in a time of scarcity?) family history issues. It's interesting how family history can become learning narratives for offspring (like me).

In thinking about family history, and especially in writing about it, there's an interesting generative aspect to it (ie with much symbolic significance) I find fascinating and explore. Ancestry.com, and our current flurry of email conversations is part of this generation, as I see it. May blog about some of this today.

I also really would like to add and highlight what I like and recall about my family history (especially these 5 1st cousins, sister and brother: Janie (my mother JKBM), Ted (Theodore Chadbourne) Brown of Oregon, brothers John and Alden Frank Briscoe, and Denny (Edward Depue) Titus and their forebears etc. - whose vision of goodness and smarts resonate with me).

Am curious with Ancestry.com and other software, where we as end users will begin to see machine learning playing an ever increasing role in our history writing too. (For example, I've seen some notes in Ancestry that some of the documents were found by AI or similar, as a very early beginning in this process .... and then into avatar bots - James Edward McLeod brought alive from photos into a realistic virtual earth, am thinking Google Street View with Time Slider with its Pegman and with Second Life, but not cartoon-esque:).

In updating this soon - http://scottmacleod.com/ScottMacLeodFamilyHistory.htm (accessible from http://scottmacleod.com/family.htm) - will seek to spell Bolger as Bulger ...

Yes, agreed re male bias in genealogy (even in old anthropological studies of kinship which focus on polyandry in Tibet / Nepal (not polygyny, & for example - re passing on land, for ex.), but I also think the potential to follow up on the evidence for Margaret Emma Barns/Barnes, for ex., via Margaret's entries in Ancestry is an equalizer in these regards. (Whoever's minding and developing the Ancestry.com proprietary software makes me not want to put all my eggs in one basket, so am keeping this in mind too - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/MacLeod-2524 - and even possibly in some years re a collaboration or merger of the two somehow).

Have you at all checked into the genealogists among the 10 MacLeod societies world wide - http://www.clan-macleod-scotland.org.uk/clan-history (accessible from - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/aurorae-boreraig-isle-of-skye-scotland.html) (which are probably possibly pretty loosey-goosey compared with Ancestry).

Am seeking to begin my own MacLeods at some point soon-ish ... and am in a kind of waiting mode (in the Light?) in these regards as I continue to circulate in seeking a girl friend / partner / wife / mom-to-be ... re genealogy questions esp.

Cheers, Scott


*
Scott MacLeod
Sat, Jul 13, 12:47 PM (1 day ago)
to Mark

Hi Mark,

As a follow up: well, it looks like this morning your files opened up to me further significantly, Mark (some days after you changed the settings).

And this morning too, I just got an email from Ancestry with a blank name:

"[thumb up] now has access to all the great work you put into your tree.
Congrats— accepted your invitation to the MacLeod (& Brown) Family Tree.

At Ancestry, we’re passionate about helping people discover their unique stories, and creating collaborative connections like this can be a powerful tool."

And am not sure who this refers to - you possibly?

All a bit curious communications-wise ... as I make further inferences/hypotheses about Ancestry.com's development and approaches toward both sharing/collaboration, as well as other related Ancestry issues. Appreciating the mission and collaboration orientation of WikiTree - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/MacLeod-2524 - and find it interesting that the number at the end is close to my SS number re its plans for a single family tree (presumably of all 7.5 billion people, which WUaS is seeking to develop in for a number of reasons - https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/You_at_World_University - in 711 living languages too) Am wondering too why I can't access certain names even with their 'hints' green leaves - like Benjamin Lincoln "We’re sorry but this feature is temporarily unavailable", William Gilbert, Mildred Docia Holland Gilbert, Elizabeth Cutler from the 1500s  - and similar. Also appreciating that WikiTree has a DNA focus, like Ancestry. I'm guessing their platform policies have developed with time - and pragmatically re the benefits of sharing, as well as possibly issues are families and identities even.

Am finding Ancestry interesting, and its databases will grow as more people contribute. The DNA potential questions it will address (with a large database) are also potentially fascinating.

Am appreciating our email conversations and your Ancestry tree re learning as well, Mark.

Did you ever go to these, Mark - http://www.thescottishgames.com/ - when you were studying at Stanford? At these Scottish Games in Pleasanton (8/31-9/1 this year), California (which is the 154th consecutive Scottish Highland Gathering and Games!), Mrs. Tammie Vawter 'Mrs. MacLeod' - who's so great :)  and knows so much MacLeod history, and who runs the Clan MacLeod tent at Highland Games throughout California - may be a resource re Macleod Society genealogists / genealogy questions too in all 10 societies worldwide even. :)  ('MacLeod Society Worldwide' wiki subject page - https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Subjects - isn't yet begun again - may add a genealogy / DNA focus to this, brainstorming-wise with time:).

Cheers, Scott


*
Mark MacLeod
Attachments
Jul 13, 2019, 5:31 PM (19 hours ago)
to me

Scott,

I've attached Jen's document. It's big but it may get through.

I attended a MacLeod clan gathering once but for the life of me I can't recall where it was.

Ancestry software is not great. Things work and then they don't. At times, trying again after only a few seconds does the trick.

I did not receive an invitation to review your site other than using the link that you sent around. I suspect a non-Ancestry user in your 'To' list clicked on the link.

It's fun to think about one tree for 7.5B people but in the meantime were stuck building mini trees and sharing them around. I suspect AI is embedded in Ancestry software. The hints are at least one result. The results of searches are generally well organized with the most likely matches first. I wish it was all free but I can appreciate that there is considerable cost digitizing paper records.

Mark



*
Mark,

Thanks for Jen's great and somehow beautiful "History of the MacLeods through Generations" document (subtitled potentially something like "James Edward McLeod through Jen MacLeod'???). What a trove of family history resources! And an interesting interpretation (hers & her family's, I'd hazard) somehow culturally even of her MacLeod family history (I write here as an anthropologist too, as well as a family member). All historical / social science writing in my mind ... in a big picture sense, genealogically too - and very helpful documents for future generations. Will seek to somehow come into conversation with it, as I update - http://scottmacleod.com/ScottMacLeodFamilyHistory.htm - post with what I learn from Ancestry - and re https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/MacLeod-2524 too. I wonder if that's Bruce, not Gordon jr./MD, with Margaret and other son, my uncle Paul Roger on the 24th out of 26 search hit on 'Gordon' since Bruce and Paul PR were so tall - and taller than Gordon at 6'2" - where I'm 6'3 3/4" for the genealogy record. (Page numbers could be a positive addition to this "Generations" doc too). These ....@worlduniversityandschool.org email addresses (all Google Education) have unlimited storage apparently, so am glad too this big file came through too to this email address. Looking forward to your co-edits to Jen's "Generations" if this is in the works.

I've attached a MacLeod bagpiping talk "MacLeod Piping Stories Traditions and some of PM Donald MacLeod's Bagpipe Music by Scott MacLeod June 2011" I wrote and gave at the 2011 gathering of Pacific Clan MacLeod FYI. I could include Tammie Vawter aka "Mrs. MacLeod Pacific" in a future introduction if that would interest you - she's so so knowledgeable about MacLeod history - and might have good ideas about how to go back to James Edward McLeod's predecessors re MacLeod genealogists too. 

Seeking to further document all of this email genealogy conversation here - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/galapagos-penguin-spheniscus-mendiculus.html - dated yesterday.
There's a kind of identity-zing 'flow' experience-wise I experience in exploring / writing this kind of history. (Am thinking about it neurophysiology-wise too re questions of consciousness, and anthropologically as well :)

Cheers, Scott

And thus far:
- https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/galapagos-penguin-spheniscus-mendiculus.html
- https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/blue-ash-fraxinus-quadrangulata.html
- https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/aurorae-boreraig-isle-of-skye-scotland.html



*
Mark MacLeod
4:35 PM (1 hour ago)
to me

Scott,

It's definitely my father in the photo you mention.

Your attached document is interesting. I may include it on your 'page' on my Ancestry tree, along with your biographical web links, assuming you're OK with this.

I'm in Maine now, enjoying Bonny Eagle Lake. My brothers Bruce and Jim were here earlier today and Jennifer arrives tomorrow.

Mark


*
Scott MacLeod
5:35 PM (7 minutes ago)
to MacLeod

Mark,

Sounds good. Yes, you're welcome to post  "MacLeod Piping Stories Traditions and some of PM Donald MacLeod's Bagpipe Music by Scott MacLeod June 2011"  to Ancestry, and here too is a link to this at Academia.edu where I've also posted it - https://www.academia.edu/4390112/MacLeod_Piping_Stories_and_Traditions_and_some_of_PM_Donald_MacLeods_Bagpipe_Music_by_Scott_MacLeod_June_2011. I might extend a hypothetical title of Jen20's history to include '... Jen MacLeod of North Dakota,' so something like "History of the MacLeods through Generations: James Edward McLeod (c. 1824-1899) through Jen MacLeod of North Dakota in 2020" or very roughly similar, idea-wise, and include a date of publication too ??? As a prof, I'm a fan of  titles on papers,  as well as author's full name, as well as date & place too of publication.

How too to add such blog entries' URLs - such as - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/galapagos-penguin-spheniscus-mendiculus.html or https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/aurorae-boreraig-isle-of-skye-scotland.html - to my own Ancestry or WikiTree as documents is an interesting question for me, since they contain interesting documentation.

Just sent this to John Hennessy, former president of Stanford for 16 years, and current chair of the Board of Alphabet, whom I know a little, and re World Univ & Sch, asking if he'd become chair of the Board of World Univ & Sch:

"Dear John,

I'm writing to follow up again on this May 18th "Mentoring question" email thread.

Current chair of the World University and School Board Larry Viehland on the phone just now in talking about next week's World University and School monthly business meeting (in the manner of Friends too) and also re WUaS not having the monies to begin the licensing process with BPPE said something about how he's 'got to leave.' Am not sure exactly what this referred to, but perhaps if World University and School got a new chair of the Board, WUaS would become financially operational.

If Larry were to resign from chair of the Board, would you John Hennessy please be available to step into this role?  And I wonder if both you and Larry would be open to talking about this at this Saturday's WUaS monthly business meeting at 9am PT (where I'll actually be on Cuttyhunk Island, MA, during this) ? WUaS hasn't become financially operational to speak of in approximately 12 years, and while this has made it possible to begin World University and School 'for a song,' WUaS needs now to begin licensing with CA's BPPE and then accrediting with WASC senior, and for which WUaS doesn't have the monies for related fees (having not received the $250,000.00 National Science Foundation grant earlier this year which budgeted for these, as well as hiring graduate student instructors). World University and School is seeking to matriculate our second undergraduate class online this January 2020 at licensing WUaS. Would you be available potentially please to explore this and related questions this Saturday, July 20th? Thank you!

All the best, Scott"

What do you think? Would you have interest in joining the World Univ & Sch Board with your business knowledge and thinking? The business prospects are ginormous, since WUaS is legally 2 entities, a 501 c 3, and a for profit general stock company (with named CEO in Romania, and different Trustees). Do you happen to know John Hennessy by any chance, Mark?

At the Clan MacLeod Pacific tent with Tammie Vawter (Mrs. MacLeod Pacific), there've been 1 or 2 folks from Chevron over the years, and I've wondered whether somehow you all knew each other.

Greetings to Bruce, Jim and Jennifer when she arrives, and everyone else (Anne and Claire et al.) - and to Bonny Eagle Lake itself! I was really glad to talk with my brother Sandy yesterday for quite a while on the phone in Maine, and hopefully I'll overlap with him on Wednesday on Cuttyhunk where I'm headed for 2 weeks leaving this Tuesday.

Nice to correspond about family history email-wise, Mark!

Warm regards, Scott



*
HI Karen and Alden, Susan, Ma (Janie), Mark, (Cathy and Ann), 

Would love to see some of your family history documents with time, Karen, Alden and Susan - Gilbert/Kirkbride and Briscoe in particular. Have added much of this email thread to my blogpost from yesterday - - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/galapagos-penguin-spheniscus-mendiculus.html (see, too - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/aurorae-boreraig-isle-of-skye-scotland.html ) ... and Mark and have been communicating in between about much of this too. Emails and Ancestry.com seem to be our current forums of choice. Any other suggestions of possible forums for sharing about family history online that you find generative? 

Please let us know what you unearth! :)

Warm regards, Scott
Will update this soon in these regards as well - http://scottmacleod.com/ScottMacLeodFamilyHistory.htm (accessible from http://scottmacleod.com/family.htm)-


*
Monday, July 15, 2019

Mark MacLeod
Attachments
5:00 AM (2 hours ago)
to me

Scott,

You may have a copy of this email ('1994 email from Gordon MacLeod on trip to Ireland' - https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree/154485576/person/242042277108/media/490e522d-ffee-4d5b-9a1f-607da7c5b883?_phsrc=sNf21567&usePUBJs=true) from your father - https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/154485576/person/242042277108/story - but just in case you don't I thought you might enjoy reading it. It was extremely helpful in creating the family tree on the Driscoll/Ryan side. You dad did some great work!

It is stored in the Ancestry.com 'Gallery' and linked to all the names in the email.

Mark
(Mark K. MacLeod
https://www.ancestry.com/account/profile/06543b97-0006-0000-0000-000000000000)


*
Mark,

Thanks! Yes, I did happen to come across "1994 email from Gordon MacLeod MD on trip to Ireland" (1994) last week, and really enjoyed reading it. I don't think I had seen this before, although I remember my father speaking of this trip, and of his finding genealogy resources at Banquet Hill.

You might enjoy this "Gordon Kenneth MacLeod, M.D., F.A.C.P." (2006) in a similar vein - https://web.archive.org/web/20100728104149/http://www.pitt.edu/~gmacleod/ - of which he is the main author, both before and after he was impaired (by a head injury he suffered while on a Semester at Sea trip in Belize leading to 1 then later a 2nd 'spontaneous' subdural hematoma, while in Pittsburgh).

And you might also find this "Gordon K. MacLeod Wikipedia entry" (2019) interesting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_K._MacLeod - of which I'm currently the main author, and which will develop with time, as people wiki-add to this.

Cheers, Scott
(Scott GK MacLeod -
https://www.ancestry.com/account/profile/07376f97-0006-0000-0000-000000000000)
scottmacleod.com


*
Mark,

Do you use 'Celtic Knot' language identity-wise ever in your genealogy explorations, Mark?

Just tried to add some Ancestry.com URLs to https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/galapagos-penguin-spheniscus-mendiculus.html particularly for "1994 email from Gordon MacLeod on trip to Ireland," for my father - both from your tree - and for us to this at bottom. Exploring how reference links outside of Ancestry.com would work for others. 

Scott


*
Mark MacLeod
1:00 PM (7 hours ago)
to me

No idea what Celtic Knot is. I use English :-)

Sent from my iPhone


*
:) just got the AncestryDNA kit in the mail today (and not the Scottish Small Pipes' chanter in B flat from Nova Scotia, as I had thought the yellow slip in PO Box might indicate:). Hope to do the sampling before I head out for Cuttyhunk on the plane tomorrow! Interested to see what similarities emerge in their database. Thanks for the Ancestry heads' up! Haven't yet pursued learning any of the Celtic Knot Gaelics yet - am a bit with you in these regards re English, which is also the language I know for genetics :)



Mark,

Celtic languages are Welsh, Breton, Irish and Scots' Gaelic, and as second languages, Manx and Cornish -

The Celtic languages are a language family inside of Indo-European languages. There are six Celtic languages still spoken in the world today, spoken in north-west Europe. They are divided into two groups, Goidelic (or Gaelic) and the Brythonic (or British).
Celtic languages - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_languages

I see 'Celtic Knot' languages and their speakers (or former speakers of these) very loosely as a kind of identity, possibly relating in one way or another to the above - and will possibly explore this re my AncestryDNA learning.

I think my mother identifies as English, and I have about 50% of her DNA :)

Scott


-- 
- Scott MacLeod - Founder, President & Professor

- World University and School

- 415 480 4577

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization. 


*

Hi Susan, Karen and Alden, and All, 

Susan, as I recall, at the Estes Park family reunion (mid 1990s?, late 1980s?), you handed out a packet of printed Gilbert family history in plastic bags to everyone - where is this now, if it exists, do you think?)

Family history blog post re this email thread grows ... https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/galapagos-penguin-spheniscus-mendiculus.html ... and mentions at its close that my mother identifies as English (she just said the other night on the phone). 

Mark, I'll add link to the large file with photos of "MacLeod through Generations" history to DropBox, which you shared via a link. And I just created a new Dropbox account ... https://www.dropbox.com/home ... good to have this working NEWLY as resource. (DropBox curiously hasn't worked for me for possibly a decade - with much free cloud-based storage!) A new forum for sharing family history ... 

And Mark, re Jen20 MacLeod of ND's family history document with many great photos (in DropBox).... and possibly re the "religion" focus (which was my major at Reed, along with German), you mentioned exploring historically re your 'markup':
another aspect, "theoretically" (re a kind of social theory), for me, of identity, family history, "Celtic Knot" languages' peoples, builds on the idea of "troopbondage" ... re John Money's "Concepts of Determinism" ... http://scottmacleod.com/JohnMoneyConceptsOfDeterminism.html ... will have a look at your markups in Jen20's document. 

Heading to Cuttyhunk today from the SF Bay Area! :) See you there, Ma, on the 26th!

Cheers, Scott


*

*

*
Susan Harvey
Tue, Jul 16, 10:24 PM (9 hours ago)
to Karen, Alden, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, Pete, Edith, me, MacLeod

Scott, I will be out of town for about 2 weeks. I will look for the Gilbert info when I return. (so hot here in GA that one must have indoor projects)
Brother Pete’s house suffered bad smoke and water damage when a fire destroyed the next door house. His Gilbert research was saved but is not easily accessible. I will send you what I have on paper if you send a PO mailing address. Yes, archaic, but so am I. I have found findagrave.com to be useful but not totally accurate. I like knowing where the ancestors are buried—plus you can usually pick up some linked graves.

This may be the Native American link you are thinking about: I spent about 2 weeks in 1996 looking for our supposed ancestress, the Princess Nicketti (Hughes). Very tenuous connections (google her) I went to Rocky Mt VA and environs and found the Craghead homeplace and graves, Fergusons, and others who were part of the group who later went to Missouri, en masse.

also: I still own one of the old Kirkbride gold mine claims in Left Hand Canyon near Gold Hill. Warren had bought out his mother and sisters. Warren left one claim to me, one to Pete, one to Edith. I’m interested in selling mine. Have been in touch with our cousin Boyd Brown in Gold Hill. Have the name of a realtor but that’s as far as I’ve gotten. Boulder County has been interested in the past but I’d rather sell to family.

Please give your mother my best. Love from Georgia. SGH


Susan Gilbert Harvey
Rome, GA 30161-3087
www.susanharvey.com



*
Will check out what I saved from the reunion (1986).  Am in midst of another project, but will get back to you.
    ~Cuz Karen



*
Scott MacLeod
Tue, Jul 16, 10:48 PM (8 hours ago)
to Alden, Pete, Edith, Susan, Karen, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod

Thanks, Susan, so much! And greetings, Pete and Edith, (and All)!

I look forward to seeing the Gilbert materials on paper, (or digitally if that's easier for you, and if other people in this email thread might also like to see them digitally as well)! This email address can receive large files. (Mark just sent a very large MacLeod history file with many photos in it in email to me - thank you, Mark! And I've also shared some family history documents with him), and DropBox also works, but PO Box may be simplest. My PO Box is below). Thanks too so much for the Gilbert family history (and refresher).

I've found findagrave.com in Ancestry.com to be helpful ,and have recently documented many ancestors with this important resource, re one related 'forum,' but it isn't inexpensive.

(Scott MacLeod, PO Box  442, (670A Ridgecrest Road) Canyon, CA 94516).

Ma: "Please give your mother my best. Love from Georgia. SGH."

In innovative envisioning, am curious how, for example, our Gilbert ancestors in Virginia, Missouri, and the Gold Hill mining site will emerge in a realistic virtual earth for genealogy - am thinking Google Street View with time slider / Maps / Earth and with avatar bots (like in Second Life / OpenSim, but realistic - and also group-buildable). This would be for genetic research eventually as well.

Susan, if waiting until the autumn when it's cooler is better, please let me know. And very nice to be in touch with you, Susan, Pete, Edith and All!

Cheers, Scott
- https://twitter.com/scottmacleod


*
Scott MacLeod
Jul 16, 2019, 10:50 PM (8 hours ago)
to Karen, Alden, Susan, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod

Thanks so much, Karen!

Warm regards, Scott
- http://scottmacleod.com/ScottMacLeodFamilyHistory.htm
- https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/galapagos-penguin-spheniscus-mendiculus.html -



*
Edith Ethridge
Wed, Jul 17, 8:09 AM (2 days ago)
to Alden, Pete, me, Susan, Karen, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod

Enjoying this exchange of an impressive collection of information and the time and effort it represents.

Passing along this picture of the license for marriage for George Kirkbride and Jane Horn dated June 6, 1868. Unfortunately, the framing has covered the bottom line.

I have a three year old granddaughter with middle name Kirkbride.

Best to all,
Edith Kirkbride Gilbert Ethridge



"License for marriage for George Kirkbride and Jane Horn dated June 6 1868 Scott MacLeod Kirkbride ancestor.jpeg"

Sent from my iPad



*
Scott MacLeod
Jul 17, 2019, 4:52 PM (2 days ago)
to Edith, Susan, Karen, Alden, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod, Pete

Wow, Edith, Pete, Susan and All!

What an amazing marriage license from Westmoreland, England in 1869 - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Appleby-in-Westmorland,+UK/@54.577612,-2.5059784,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487c50836e9219d5:0x32e48167826147bf!8m2!3d54.578302!4d-2.489614 ... Was looking in the photos / 'walkable'-photos section of this Google Street View for TIME SLIDER function, but it isn't in this one. Check out, for example, however the St Lawrence Church in Appleby in Westmoreland (in the north of England) which also looks like a castle in the center of town - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Appleby-in-Westmorland,+UK/@54.5778621,-2.4913692,3a,75y,186.08h,110t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOQFOtA3vda79x7wO5mUNdsSIASVxQUeUY8zjHM!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOQFOtA3vda79x7wO5mUNdsSIASVxQUeUY8zjHM%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-20-ya160-ro-0-fo100!7i7776!8i3888!4m5!3m4!1s0x487c50836e9219d5:0x32e48167826147bf!8m2!3d54.578302!4d-2.489614 - and with which (in what ways?) I wonder if George Kirkbride and Jane Horn were familiar?   (Would love for us to be able to see George and Jane as avatar bots in this - from photos!:)

In my Ancestry.com - https://ancstry.me/2YWAz5N - I'm looking for the direct predecessors of William Gilbert who married Mildred Docia Holland. Do any of you know their 4 parents and birth and death dates? They are my great, great grandparents (of which I have 16). Ancestry has a free 2 week trial, if any of you get the family history bug in a new focusing way, - and it also has a DNAAncestry kit (for $99) where you send in some of your DNA (from saliva), and it makes an interesting forum with lots of aggregating resources thanks to distributed computing (but again isn't inexpensive) which many other ancestry programs don't have in the same way at all, since Ancestry.com is 'cloud' based.

Parents of William and Mildred Gilbert?

Friendly greetings from Cuttyhunk Island, MA, where I just arrived this morning (from Canyon, CA 94516 in the SF Bay Area).

Warm regards, Scotty




*
Scott MacLeod
1:21 PM (1 hour ago)
to Sandy, Edith, Susan, Karen, Alden, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod, Pete

Hello Edith, Mark, Sandy (whom I'm newly adding) and family historians all,

By way of innovation and to see the TIME SLIDER function in Google Street re my last email about 'time sliding' back to 1869 to see George Kirkbride and Jane Horn's world, here's the Harbin Hot Springs' Gatehouse - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Harbin+Hot+Springs/@38.7859477,-122.651813,3a,75y,307.44h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skXZe6uuplnYW7LbqZZcawQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xde57c3ab0ecaa2c9!8m2!3d38.7860806!4d-122.6518315 - where you can see and use time slider, and toggle between 2012 and 2017 as part of the little box at the top. (Actual-virtual, physical-digital Harbin Hot Springs is my ethnographic field site for an ongoing large ethnographic project). I hope at some point we'll all be able to toggle back to 1869 in Appleby, Westmoreland, England, and see the building where this document was written, for example, and even talk with George Kirkbride and Jane Horn. All a bit visionary re family history genealogy, but interesting nevertheless.

I may add the smart phone picture of George and Jane's marriage license to Ancestry.com, Edith, if it isn't there already. (Mark MacLeod in this email thread has added large numbers of smart phone pictures, I think, from his research into the Prince Edward Island archives re James Edward McLeod who emigrated to Charlottetown in the 1850s, and then to Boston in the 1890s). That's the origin of our last name. James A Brown, where my mother (Janet Kirkbride Brown MacLeod) gets her last name - as I've mentioned - also came from Scotland apparently, and is of the same generation as James Edward McLeod. Both are my great great grandfathers. Here again is a new Ancestry.com link to mine and Sandy's "pedigree" (which is genealogy language, I understand).

My 2 week free trial of Ancestry.com ends today, but I think I'm going to let it run on for awhile (for $19.99 / month) at least until I get the AncestryDNA kit done and sent in, and see some of the implications (and they compound thanks to distributed computing and all of us continuing to add resources to Ancestry, for ex.)

While I haven't been able to use Findagrave.com just now to find my father's "Non Sine Lumine" (Not Without Light) gravestone (and with a 3 dimensional sun dial above the grave) on Cuttyhunk, I have just now seen a picture of this gravestone already in Ancestry.com which Mark added there, and here it is which - https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree/162331043/person/252114399886/media/797897ab-3de8-492b-aad7-02266a3125b6?_phsrc=sNf21571&usePUBJs=true - but which you probably have to be a member to see. I did also however find the tribute I wrote on his behalf in my blog dated August 2, 2008 on Cuttyhunk here - http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2008/08/rosehip-gordon-k-macleod-mds-my-father.html - which is in the video of memorial service here too in the Cuttyhunk Methodist Church of the same date.

Greetings from Cuttyhunk, and happy family history explorations. :)

- http://scottmacleod.com/ScottMacLeodFamilyHistory.htm
- https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/07/galapagos-penguin-spheniscus-mendiculus.html -

I may begin to develop some of this newly here in the free WikiTree - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/MacLeod-2524 - with very different distributed computing pooled resources including a DNA focus interestingly, in parallel.

Warm regards, Scott







*














...



No comments: