Friday, December 4, 2015

Parental investment: Creative time here, On with indexing / editing my Harbin ethnographic manuscript ... BBC version of of Yo-yo Ma playing all of the Bach Cello Suites, What is(are) the significance(s) of publishing a book (or a cognitive application, for that matter), I've been asking myself recently? In terms of exploring happiness generation and classical music, playing or listening to "happy" (improvisational too) Bach music played in certain ways is one way to explore this, Good & interesting Skype lesson with Lorne in Scotland, Wynton Marsalis & Yo-yo Ma's "Guidelines for practicing a musical instrument"


Hi M,

Looking forward to ...

Creative time here, just emailed my second Harbin chapter to Jo'C (and other friends) at SF Friends' Meeting for finalization. Chapters 1-4 are easy chapters - near completion. Adding photos in middle section after Chapter 4, which will determine rough pagination/indexing for chapters 5-9. Finickiness of indexing/editing/adding photos isn't my forte - in a now 450 page manuscript, but it is interesting and enjoyable to revisit the ideas in my book, when I get back into it. What is(are) the significance(s) of publishing a book (or a cognitive application, for that matter), I've been asking myself recently? I think there are many many, but I can't yet make them explicit.

Just came across a BBC version of of Yo-yo Ma playing all of the Bach Cello Suites at the Royal Albert Hall (the two versions on disk I know of are better) ... but this is nevertheless great ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9MDqGhIak. (But I think there are hints of improvisation in Bach, and certainly in these other musics, where you'll also find these Cello Suites - http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2015/12/rhynchosia-music-shared-eliciting.html ) ... and yet they're often sad ... (and the last Cello Suite is in D Major - which can also be A mixolydian which my small pipes are in and which I might be able to explore ) ... In terms of exploring happiness generation and classical music, playing or listening to "happy" (improvisational too) Bach music played in certain ways is one way to explore.

Just had a good and interesting Skype lesson with Lorne in Scotland ... we're doing 30 minute lessons now ... up from 20 minutes ... which is great for information exchange ... and re - http://scottmacleod.com/GuidelinesPracticingMusicalInstrument.htm - from Wynton Marsalis and Yo-yo Ma (see also my riff on this here - http://scottmacleod.com/GuidelinesPracticingLovingBlissvavMusicalInstrument.htm ) Interesting psychological insights into Scottish societal codes in these lessons too, re my ongoing interest in hippie thinking ...

Heading to an UC Hastings' Law School holiday party at 5 today, then playing for the intro SCD class at 8 ...

On with indexing / editing my Harbin manuscript ...

L,
Scott




*






...



No comments: