Thursday, August 15, 2019

Harebell (Campanula rotundifolia): Genes, DNA for genealogy and learning, Documenting first steps into the world of genealogy software with DNA analysis ... very new territory - the big soup of cellular and molecular biology inside our bodies biologically translated and interpreted and then turned into evidence for kinds of personal origin / kinship / family stories - and to go from WHERE ancestors passed on their genes, mated that is (for, what, 10-30 generations? since people genes families move through space and time), via very new genealogy softwares in the age of information and the internet ... And what does "Shared DNA: 783 cM across 35 segments" (for Mark) OR "Shared DNA: 511 cM across 19 segments" (for Jen) mean? Will explore! ...


Documenting first steps into the world of genealogy software with DNA analysis

*
Scott MacLeod
Aug 14, 2019, 9:24 AM (1 day ago)
to Edith, Sandy, Susan, Karen, Alden, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, Pete, MacLeod

Hello Mark, Ma (Janie), Karen and All,

Just received my first Ancestry text message from a distant relative in England today. Am just beginning to parse the DNA information that Ancestry processed recently which I read about yesterday, but which I haven't yet looked into, in terms of a whole new set of narratives. Here's the message, as a first foray into DeoxyriboNucleic Acid stories:

"Derrick Leigh
Fourth Cousin
TODAY
DL
Hi Scott,
I just noticed our DNA match of 31cm which came up today. Our common ancestors appear to be in my grandmother's LAW family. It also appears that we have a facebook friend in common, Lisa Woodhouse, who is a distant relative through the BEVAN family in my tree. Are you related to her? What a small world it is!
Regards,
Derrick Leigh
Leighton Buzzard, UK"


So, cousin ('Cuz') Karen Leighty, would you care to speculate, whether, where and when someone added a 'ty' to your name with regard to Derrick Leigh's last name and message? :) And where Derrick happens to be from Leighton Buzzard, UK ... :) Naming stuff makes for interesting serendipity and synchronicity (somehow Jacques Lacan MD comes to mind here too for me re the significance of language).



And then I looked this morning at the initial narrative that AncestryDNA itself shared:

"DNA Story SM
Ethnicity Estimate
 62% Scotland and Ireland

 38% England, Wales, and Northwestern Europe

Discover the places, history, and cultures that shaped who you are today—using just your DNA.

Discover Your DNA Story Discover Your DNA Story"



This is very new territory for me - the big soup of cellular and molecular biology inside our bodies biologically translated and interpreted and then turned into evidence for kinds of personal origin / kinship / family stories - and to go from WHERE ancestors passed on their genes, mated that is (for, what, 10-30 generations? since people genes families move through space and time), via very new genealogy softwares in the age of information and the internet, and re companies like Ancestry.com who organize and process this information, to genealogy explorations that interest our curiosity is kinda fascinating as I think about this  ... and especially because you and I could be / are interested in these stories. (Why, I wonder?) Cousin Mark MacLeod is an old hand at reading his DNA's stories via Ancestry.com, having gotten his AncestryDNA processed a while ago. (When did you get your AncestryDNA kit done, Mark? What were your experiences? What new narratives emerged for you here?) ... But I'm also seeking to write about this 'arrival in a new land' exploration as I take the first steps.

So, either I'm Scottish, Celtic Knot, Irish, or English - self-identified - IDENTITY questions all. ... :) where the Celtic languages, to change the (genealogy softwares foci on place) narratives of 'mating' and passing on of genes (thanks, Charles Darwin, Francis Crick and James Watson), and presumably the languages that were spoken as said genes were shared, are Scots' Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Welsh, Breton, as well as Cornish and Manx spoken as second languages today by a few hundreds of people - among the group of people I descend from. And the English language has been a big part of this mix for me especially ... but English is pretty new as a language too (since its spread dates from the late 1700s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Spread_of_Modern_English). So ahead ... more genealogy narrative explorations for me thanks to this new evidence from a 'brave new world.'

How best to respond to - to converse with - Derrick Leigh, thanks to this brand new biological evidence, creating very new ways of connecting among a group of fellow travelers genetically-linked, through time? Ma, I wanna look at all the family documents next time I'm in Pittsburgh, and potentially add some of these to Ancestry, as well as begin to understand their significances, and develop new narratives ! Family, please let Mark and I know if you begin to explore further in Ancestry.com (or WikiTree) or in other genealogy software - so we can extend this conversation! DNA stories welcome! :)

More later, Scotty

- http://scottmacleod.com/family.htm

- http://scottmacleod.com/ScottMacLeodFamilyHistory.htm

'Gordon K MacLeod MD' label - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/search/label/Gordon%20K.%20MacLeod%20MD

'genes' label in blog - https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/search/label/genes



*
Susan Harvey
Wed, Aug 14, 9:38 AM (1 day ago)
to me, Edith, Sandy, Susan, Karen, Alden, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod, Pete

Fascinating. I do hope to jump in at some point. Covered up with OTHER minutiae at moment. Only 116 degrees in GA so housebound.

Sent from my iPhone



*
Susan, Karen, Edith and All,

Great to hear from you. My question still stands: William Gilbert and Docia Holland - what narratives and documents and family history is there?

Cheers, Scott



*
Scott MacLeod
Wed, Aug 14, 12:41 PM (1 day ago)
to Jennifer, Jen, Susan, Edith, Sandy, Susan, Karen, Alden, Janie, Scott, Ann, catherinemuller57, MacLeod, Pete

Mark, Jen (in ND), Family, MacLeods, Gilberts, Browns, Briscoes, Chadbournes, Leightys, Harveys, Ethridges, and all,

So, this exploratory DNA story as further foray continues (thanks to just having received by AncestryDNA analysis!):

In a new "DNA Matches" this is what  it says about Mark MacLeod ...

Mark MacLeod
1st–2nd Cousin
Shared DNA: 783 cM across 35 segments
3,849 People
Common ancestor

And yes, veracity - truth, since he's my first cousin (with our fathers - Gordon and Bruce - being brothers!)

So I created easily a little group in Ancestry I called:
"MacLeod / McLeod father's side of family re Scott GK MacLeod's DNA Matches"
(which was called "Scott GK MacLeod's DNA Matches re James Edward McLeod (1850s to PEI Canada)")

and a second little group in Ancestry called:
"Brown / Chadbourne / Gilbert mother's side of family re Scott GK MacLeod's DNA Matches"



... and added both Mark MacLeod, as well as Jen Macleod (in North Dakota), who's our first cousin once removed, her father, Paul MacLeod, being the son of Paul Roger MacLeod (brother too of Bruce and Gordon).

Here's what it says about Jen MacLeod ...

Jen MacLeod
1st–2nd Cousin
Shared DNA: 511 cM across 19 segments
1,243 People
Common ancestor

I know both Mark and Jen, - a good starting point as I figure out what to do next in Ancestry, newly with DNA information.

Especially Mark, and Jen too, share a lot of common ancestors in Ancestry.com, by far more than anyone else who came up as possible relatives on this new DNAAncestry list.

And what does "Shared DNA: 783 cM across 35 segments" (for Mark) OR "Shared DNA: 511 cM across 19 segments" (for Jen) mean? Will explore!

Glad we're not totally on the bleeding edge of interpreting DNAAncestry genealogy data - since we're at least a few years into both analyses and narratives!

And there's one JimAlan MacLeod who seems related ...

JimAlan MacLeod
1st–2nd Cousin
Shared DNA: 542 cM across 20 segments
30 People
Common ancestor

Mark, is this your younger brother, Jim (saying he's of Brunswick, Maine, in Ancestry)?

Tales from the DNA ancestor genealogy new world narrative front lines (for me) :)

Cheers, Scott


*
Mark MacLeod
Wed, Aug 14, 1:17 PM (1 day ago)
to me, Jen, Sandy

Scott,

Glad to hear you're getting into your DNA matches.

Jim Alan MacLeod can be found on my family tree. He is the first born of Ernest James MacLeod's second marriage. This makes him the grandson of James Edward MacLeod! Your brother Sandy and cousin Gerry know him well. He's a real character and will be at the family reunion.

I arranged to have Jim's DNA analyzed and have been studying his matches. As he is two levels higher on the tree than us, his matches on Ancestry are starting to tell an interesting story as to the origins of James Edward. In fact, he has 8 unique 'extremely high confidence' matches (outside of our known family) who have MacLeod/McLeod ancestors in Scotland. Give me a little more time and I'll have more on this!

You may also see a Mary Bonczek and Mary Lindmark as matches. These are descendants of Mary Elizabeth 'Betty' MacLeod who married Urho Makela. Betty was Gordon Kenneth MacLeod's sister and last of Ernest's children from his first marriage. Many Makelas live today in Peabody, MA. Mary Bonczek is Betty's daughter and therefore one step higher on the tree than us (less diluted DNA!). I'd love to see her results.

Would you be willing to share your DNA results? I'm more than happy to share mine.  Select Settings from the first DNA page on Ancestry.

Mark

NB - Note that I try to avoid copying many people!



*
I’m going to send you Pete’s version. Maybe I can get into that this weekend.  ðŸ¥µ

Sent from my iPhone



*
Scott MacLeod
Wed, Aug 14, 1:57 PM (1 day ago)
to Susan

Thanks, Susan!

Warm regards, Scott



*
Scott MacLeod
Wed, Aug 14, 1:59 PM (1 day ago)
to Mark, Janie, Jen

Hi Mark, (Ma and Jen),

Thanks so much - and fascinating. Yes, I'll share my DNA results with you, and yes, please, I'd like to see your DNA results too. I just sent a "DNA Ethnicity and Matches Access" invitation to you at "Mark MacLeod " from the first DNA page (hope this is what you mean). (I use both sgkmacleod@gmail.com and sgkmacleod@worlduniversityandschool.org email addresses with Ancestry.com, but more the former). And I just got yours. Interesting about James Alan MacLeod - looking forward to learning more. Would be interested in seeing Mary Bonczek's DNA results as well. Thanks for the pointers to new interesting family history queries. Just downloaded my DNA results for information, and as back up + too. And how too to download my family tree GED file as backup as well, I wonder? 

Am also interested in exploring the Chadbourne line, and have added some weeks' ago some many generations' ago ancestors to my grandfather, Sandy Brown aka Alexander Chadbourne Brown aka ACB (as kind of his brothers and sisters), at Ancestry.com's suggestion at the time, and would now like to de-link these old ancestors from my grandfather ACB but may NOT have enough data to add them 10 generations ago to the tree accurately etc. What would you suggest? (Will try to be more specific as I try to de-link these folks in Ancestry). (One Elizabeth Sperry as an example I think)

Was glad to hear back from cousins Susan Harvey (and Edith Etheridge and Karen Leighty a few weeks ago) so I see an occasional group email as beneficial - since it generates conversation (and potential co-researchers, like Susan said) - but will keep in mind your Note Bene NB, as well! These research findings could be interesting to them as well. So what do you think about an occasional email to a certain group of MacLeods or Browns, etc? Thanks for the heads' up - I'm learning too from your experience (and hope I didn't bother any of your family members, for example, with recent email). I find addressing people in group emails by name can be beneficial too. I doubt my brother Sandy has interest currently in family history, but you may know more. And yet reaching out to family in group emails is also a source of question answerers.

Thanks so much.

Cheers, Scott



*
Scott MacLeod
Wed, Aug 14, 2:14 PM (1 day ago)
to Mark, Janie, Jen

Thanks, Mark,

Thanks for sharing your DNA results. Wow you have a lot of French ancestry - 42%! And 3% Swedish! Would like to learn more.

Re one thing I learned today (probably re our grandmother Margaret Driscoll's being born in Ireland), - I'm curious about the link between Munster, Ireland, and Muenster, Germany, historically ... and whether we have any German ancestors from the 1600s or 1700s from the Munster region, for example. Muenster Germany is in the northwest of Germany, and there may have been significant migrations in those centuries.

Am curious too about the links between "Leod" and Nordic countries, if any. This doesn't show yet in my data. And how to do a name and language focused search / genealogy, is a related question. I'd like to do a "Leod" through line!

Susan Harvey just emailed just me, and said she would try soon to get into her brother Pete Gilbert's genealogy research - "I’m going to send you Pete’s version. Maybe I can get into that this weekend" and share that! Not sure what format!

May eventually explore adding my recently DNA raw data to WikiTree for "and now for something completely different" approach to the same genealogy :) Needing more data in all of these genealogy softwares!

Ma, I'm happy to share my genealogy results with you, if your interested (but I hope too to find a partner - re all of the above!)! :)



*
Mark MacLeod
Wed, Aug 14, 2:14 PM (1 day ago)
to me, Jen

Thanks for the invitation to view your matches. I sent you my invitation.

We obviously share many of the same matches. Try searching your matches by MacLeod and McLeod.

The following names of tree owners are also on Jim's match list and have intriguing connections to Scotland but no obvious connection to the descendants of James Edward MacLeod.

Daniel Gott
Sean Casey
Audrey Paterson
Ronald Steven Perry

and there are other names under Jim's list (I'll need to ask his permission to share).

My current thinking is, based on these and other family trees and DNA, that James Edward MacLeod came from the Isle of Skye area (no big surprise) but *maybe* more specifically Isle of Raasay. I see common ancestors at or near the top of these trees but it is a work in progress!

The following tree owners/DNA matches are part of our family tree, i.e. they are known descendants of James Edward MacLeod. In fact, they tie back to Ernest James MacLeod:

Makela family:
Mary Bonczek
Mary Lindmark
Melissa Triosi

Brett MacLeod (Jen's brother)
Joseph Kennedy (Gerry's nephew)
Eric MacLeod (Ed MacLeod's son. Ed is Jim Alan's brother).



*
Mark MacLeod
Wed, Aug 14, 2:20 PM (1 day ago)
to me

Oh, and add Michael Wick to the 'known relative' match list. He was at the 2004 reunion organized by Aunt Mary in Freeport. He ties into the Driscoll family and is on my tree.


*
Hi Ma (Janie), Susan, Gilberts, Kirkbrides, Laws, and my mother's Brown side of my family, Mark, and All, 

I've recently e-met Derrick Leigh, (who's my 4th cousin), who reached out thanks to a DNA match. We met via Ancestry messaging, and I'm learning much from him about George Kirkbride, and some about our common ancestor, Mary Law, George's mother. I'd like to introduce you all to Derrick here in this email thread. (And here's the Ancestry link to Derrick Leigh and Scott MacLeod's DNA match - https://www.ancestry.com/account/profile/005a9f9d-0006-0000-0000-000000000000?compareToTestId=FBC34825-6562-46E4-95F8-8A6FF7864CF7 :!) What other information and recollections do we have about George Kirkbride or his mother, Mary Law, might we have? Thank you, Derrick, for reaching out!

And Mark, (my first cousin on our father's side of the family), thanks for your great and growing knowledge about our forebear and great great grandfather James Edward McLeod / MacLeod - and re the Ancestry platform too. Our genealogy conversation together has been particularly generative - re both our MacLeod line, as well as about Ancestry itself. And here too is the Ancestry link to Mark MacLeod and Scott MacLeod's DNA match - https://www.ancestry.com/account/profile/06543b97-0006-0000-0000-000000000000?compareToTestId=FBC34825-6562-46E4-95F8-8A6FF7864CF7 !).

I think Derrick may have particular insight into and knowledge about aspects of my mother's side of the family (see our messaging below, as further documenting). Perhaps we can provide more information about Mary Law and George Kirkbride. Am hoping we can all keep this conversation going also with occasional group emails. 

Mark, Derrick and I so far are the active Ancestry.com users that I know of.

Our Ancestry profiles - 

Derrick Leigh - 

Mark K MacLeod

Scott MacLeod

I'm just family history sharing, and learning here too, about the Ancestry platform newly re this DNA information for genealogy. 

Susan (Harvey), what kind of format is the genealogy information that your brother Pete (Gilbert) might have? Pete? Is it documents or is it genealogy software or? Looking forward to learning more from all of you! 

Greetings, Derrick!

Warm regards, Scott




Hi Scott, I just noticed our DNA match of 31cm which came up today. Our common ancestors appear to be in my grandmother's LAW family. It also appears that we have a facebook friend in common, Lisa Woodhouse, who is a distant relative through the BEVAN family in my tree. Are you related to her? What a small world it is! Regards, Derrick Leigh Leighton Buzzard, UK
See how they are related.
05:36 AM
TODAY
Hi Derrick, thanks very much for your message, and info about our DNA match. Will look further. Am not familiar with Law, Woodhouse or Bevan family names, but my mother's maiden name was Brown (which name I noticed is in your tree), and coincidentally, I do have Leighty (spelling close to your name) cousins. Further research ahead. Thanks for contacting me, and am curious to find our common ancestor re shared DNA. Regards, Scott (scottmacleod.com/family.htm and scottmacleod.com and http://scottmacleod.com/ScottMacLeodFamilyHistory.htm)
Delivered, 05:02 AM
DL
Hi Scott, Thanks for the prompt reply. Lisa tells me you are old college friends. I'm already familiar with George KIRKBRIDE (1843 -1918) in your tree because his mother was Mary LAW (1809-1895). I came across an obituary for George years ago. He was a miner who emigrated to Boulder, Colorado and owned several gold mines. He was a well respected businessman and lay preacher, and even ran for election to the state Senate. It was on a temperance ticket, so wasn't too successful with that in a gold mining town! Great to hear from you. Feel free to check me out on facebook, or email dleigh112@hotmail.co.uk Best, Derrick
05:29 AM
Dear Derrick, thanks for reminding me about the Laws re George Kirkbride. I think he also had a store in Gold Hill, Colorado, which I visited once in a Gilbert family reunion in the late 1980s / '90s. Thanks too for the George Kirkbride information. Will follow up on other leads you shared. Am learning about the Ancestry platform, and newly re DNA. Am curious too about the parents of Dr. Oscar Monroe Gilbert (my great grandfather) who are William Gilbert and Docia Holland who have long had hint flag 'leafs' but no information associated with these. More later, Scott
Delivered, 07:04 AM
Derrick, Yes, I know Lisa Woodhouse, who went to Reed College (as did I) and Phillips Academy Andover. Will look into relatedness now newly. Best regards, Scott
Delivered, 08:43 AM




*
What is a centiMorgan in DNA?


In genetic genealogy, a centiMorgan (cM) or map unit (m.u.) is a unit of recombinant frequency which is used to measure genetic distance. ... The genetic genealogy testing companies 23andMe, AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage DNA use centiMorgans to denote the size of matching DNA segments in autosomal DNA tests.Jan 2, 2019

centiMorgan - ISOGG Wiki
https://isogg.org/wiki/CentiMorgan





*







*








...


No comments: