Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Pulsar: [NTF-talk] Erik Darling - True Religion (1961) * nontheist Friends, Composing or writing bagpiping music


Nontheist Friends (atheist, pacifist Quakers), NtFs, all, 

This is quite nice - is it Non-theistically Friendly true religion:): 

Erik Darling - True Religion (1961)

Perhaps! 

It emerges in the context of the folk scene in the early 1960s.

NtF Cheers, Scott






-- 
- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President  

- World University and School

- 415 480 4577


- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization. 





* *

WUaS - World University and School

1:49 PM (1 hour ago)
to nontheist-friends
Hi NtFs, Dave, Claire, Iain, Bill, Trevor, Gisela,

For me, I think the 'True Religion' idea from this folk music involves a feeling which emerges from listening to great folk music like this (and perhaps informed by the 1960s especially) - re NtFs too - but I'm curious what ethnomusicologists (both amateur and academic - and see ope WUaS wiki subjects below) would say about why Erik Darling named this album "True Religion"

Here again is - 
Erik Darling Coo-coo

https://youtu.be/_tmUuSy47VQ

I hadn't heard of him before this serendipitous Web find ... and interesting re creative universities, Dave and Bill, Claire and Iain.

When I just Google-searched, I couldn't find any Quaker connections regarding Erik Idle, but Friends were deeply into the folk scene too I'd think in the 1950s and '60s. Pete Seeger has much more Quaker connectedness, and re pacifist political consciousness raising too, for example. And here are some of them explicitly, thanks to Peter and Annie Blood-Patterson (creators of the great "Rise-Up Singing"), interviewing Seeger as recently as 2013-2014: 

PETE SEEGER AND FRIENDS

And Seeger's "How Can I Keep from Singing" is great in all of these regards and per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaker_music too. 

Pete Seeger: How Can I Keep from Singing? - Live, 1982. 


Looks like Pete Seeger and his wife brought their kids to First Day School in Poughkeepsie NY for a number of years even - 
Pete Seeger and Friends
January 31, 2014
By Peter Blood
https://www.friendsjournal.org/pete-seeger-friends/

FWC - Friends World College - was another innovative Quaker educational experiment (of which Haverford, Swarthmore, Earlham and Guilford in the US seem to be navigating the winds of 'modernity' with most aplomb - https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Modernity ) ... And here's a recent (Friendly-informed, NtF too) WUaS News, Livestream, Q&A

World Univ & Sch News and Q&A 8/10/20 - Seeking matriculating undergrads for 9/1/2020 & MBM Minutes

https://youtu.be/qbggnTOjlQA

WUaS is already registering students for 9/1/20, but no Friends yet. If you know of any 18 yo NtFs, Quakers or similar who might be interested in a free-to-students' online best STEAM CC-4 OCW-centric Bachelor's degree, in a 4 year licensing and accrediting program, please let me know!

Here are the (developing) Monthly Business Meeting minutes from 8/15/20's open MBM at 9 am PT electronically (on 3rd Saturdays)

NtF Cheers, 
Scott




* * *
Composing or writing bagpiping music


Piper of Drummond (reel, bagpiping tune)


Taylor Warren

AttachmentsMon, Aug 17, 8:30 PM (1 day ago)
to me
Here's some seconds for Piper of Drummond I drew up. I've been experimenting with slightly wider harmonies. I like the almost major-minor sound of this one. Thoughts? 


*

Scott MacLeod sgkmacleod@worlduniversityandschool.org

11:10 AM (10 hours ago)
to Taylor
Love it! It appears to be in the key of E major (per the 4 sharps of the key signature), but I'm not sure what this would be in mixolydian scale (like 2 sharps on the staff signifies the key of D major, which is also A mixolydian, and a 'fudge' for the bagpipe A chanter, where the key of A major would have 3 sharps in the staff). Did you notate this in E major of the D chanter (which is a mixolydian scale?)

So first I played this new setting of "The Piper of Drummond" from MuseScore - and it sounds great! Love the major-minor, and the melody line is the high one beginning on E, and you've added a kind of alto voice or line beginning on A.

Then I got out the Green Tutor Vol. 1 (my New Revised Edition, date???, whereas it was originally published in 1953), and played this first with my D chanter (with D bass drone and A tenor) - as if I was playing an A chanter - and it sounded great, with drone chord working for me sound-wise. 

Then I played the Green Tutor version with my A chanter, and I liked this tune again. 

Then from your MuseScore, with my D chanter, I played both lines, separately (obviously), and the lines are also lovely. (But what notes am I playing)

Then I tried playing with my A chanter from MuseScore ... and nice too. 

Am liking the overall sound of the harmonies in MuseScore much. I also appreciate the higher pitched notes together. 

Then I put in D chanter again, to play from your MuseScore, with the D chanter's scale (C up to high D - with these notes), and this lower line worked well, where the first A on the D chanter (would be the E on the A chanter), and the other two notes add the harmony. Then with the D chanter also I tried to play the melody (with the D chanter's scale - C up to high D - with these notes) - and it's more complicated! 

Congratulations on your second composition with SSP seconds or harmonies - and related creativity, Taylor!

More feedback and thoughts later. How would you explain what you wrote? 

I wanna begin to write harmonies too ... and with the D chanter especially! :)

Musical cheers, 
Scott



*

Taylor, 

In brief, it occurs to me that the key of E major with 4 sharps such as in your Piper of Drummond could be the staff notation for B flat major (or possibly minor, with 5 sharps) mixolydian . :)

Let's talk further about this with time.

Cheers, Scott








*









...






No comments: