Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Atlantic Puffin: Hoping to play with my wee D chanter on my Scottish Small Pipes and explore tunes from OpenBand sheet music with you in Skype video on Tu Mar 15 at 9am PT, teaching about some of this further especially re playing the D chanter on the Scottish small pipes and here at WUaS too ... Scottish small pipes ... http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Scottish_smallpipes_and_borderpipes ...

Hi Lore!

Happy March! Hoping to play with my wee D chanter on my Scottish Small Pipes and explore tunes from OpenBand (https://twitter.com/TheOpenBand) sheet music with you on Tu Mar 15 at 9am PT. Will book 5 more lessons with CoP soon. May explore earlier dates for another lesson too ...

I also recently pulled out my D chanter on my Scottish small pipes to begin exploring newly playing with this from Liz Donaldson's SCD sheet music pink and blue books, but it's in a scale my GHB piping mind isn't familiar with! Piper's A on this D chanter is now Piper's D - how confusing! :) My A chanter is in A mixolydian which is D major for practical purposes in sheet music, and I only have a 9 note range - Low G to High A; My D chanter is in D mixolydian which is G major for practical purposes in sheet music I think, and here my range, unfamiliarly, would be from Low C to High D (which is very odd for my GHB piping mind indeed:)

Curious too how to start playing a kind of tenor voice, since this D chanter is a third or a fourth higher than the A chanter ... and directly from sheet music tunes in A mixolydian (so D major, for practical purposes) ... will explore just playing normally as if the D chanter is in A with sheet music in D major (eg A mixolydian).

Looking too to get a Walsh SSP dedicated reed (or chanter) in B-flat to expand the keys I can play in ... (which I assume would be in B flat mixolydian - which would be what key in sheet music for practical purposes? ... will get out my sheet music page with all the scales and their key signatures) ... and perhaps would tune the combo drone to E here.

And is it correct that the "A" (Piper's A - somewhere between b and b-flat, historically and culturally :) in the CoP Green Tutor in sheet music is an octave higher than the tone actually played on the practice chanter or on the SSP chanter?

Just writing, querying and thinking in writing ... to open new piping worlds ...

Musical cheers,
Scott

http://scottmacleod.com/piping.htm

*

I may be teaching about some of this further especially re playing the D chanter on the Scottish small pipes and here at WUaS too ...

Scottish small pipes ... http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Scottish_smallpipes_and_borderpipes ...





*

...



No comments: