Friday, June 14, 2013
Mantled Howler Monkey: Reed College's ReedFayre Reunion ... In what ways can WUaS plan to become the Oxford and Cambridge of the Internet, 800 years into the future, in addition to becoming the MIT, Harvard, Yale and Stanford of the Internet, and, on the wiki side, for open, people-to-people teaching, in all languages (7,413+) and countries (204+)?, This ReedFayre provides much to think about in this regard, Harvard has the biggest endowment in the world for an university, WUaS can plan in the following ways in seeking overachieving students and faculty in all languages and countries, STEM-centricity, Overachievers, Law, Medicine, Community, "Do Good, Do Great, Do Care - Information Technologically"
Reed College's ReedFayre Reunion ...
In what ways can World University and School plan to become the Oxford and Cambridge of the Internet, 800 years into the future, in addition to becoming the MIT, Harvard, Yale and Stanford of the Internet, - and, on the wiki side, for open, people-to-people teaching, in all languages (7,413+) and countries (204+)?
Being at this ReedFayre 2 years after Reed's 100th anniversary provides much to think about in this regard.
In addition to WUaS's financial needs, and growing its endowment - Cambridge and Oxford in Britain and Harvard and MIT in the United States are at the pinnacle of academia, for example, in terms of their compensation packages to faculty, I think, and Harvard has the largest University endowment in the world - WUaS can plan in the following ways in seeking overachieving, and best, students and faculty, in all languages and countries.
WUaS beginning planning for 800 years
- STEM-centricity - science, technology, engineering and mathematics focus - to begin, especially information technologically
- seek overachieving students and faculty in all languages and countries, and build worldwide community around this, like the great universities above have
- WUaS can focus explicitly on making its formidable, MIT-centric academics enjoyable, and studying and measuring this, in terms of 'flow' (Csikszentmihalyi), as well as flourishing (eudaimonia), among many other ways; for its prospective, undergraduate students many of whom come from the U.S., Reed College, which draws nationally (with about 3,000 applicants, and Reed just waived its admission's fee), offers formidable academics in its reaching out to students, and has begun to focus on questions of student enjoyment in its admission's discourse
- With WUaS's 200+, planned, Law Schools in 200 + countries, under one umbrella, WUaS will be able to develop legal innovation in terms of intellectual property law, international law, environmental law, corporate law, maritime law ... indeed in all aspects of the law, and begin to measure and study this as well. WUaS will also be able to develop presidents / managers / clerks (in a Quaker sense) in all 200 countries' universities/schools, and in so many other ways
- Similarly, with WUaS's 200+, planned, online, Medical Schools in 200 + countries, under one umbrella, and online hospitals (http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Hospital), the data accumulation potential over 800 years, for example, is remarkable, as is the possibility to offer online, free, creative commons' medical education and care to poor and underserved parts of the world, such as Africa
- And similarly, with WUaS's 200+ countries, its planned, online, MIT-centric, Ph.D. degrees will generate a remarkable interlingual conversation, which implications 800 years ahead are difficult to plan for
- WUaS will plan to study longitudinally (very - 800 years +), comparatively and linguistically (7000 languages), how different cultures learn; having lived in French-speaking Switzerland for 6 months, when I was 12 and 13, Edinburgh, Scotland for 2 separate years (1976-1977 and 2003-2004), and in Munich Germany (1981-1982) for a year, I've learned that different cultures and languages approach learning in very different ways
- Plan to “Do Good, Do Great, Do Care, - Information Technologically” (http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2013/04/red-howler-monkey-googles-do-no-evil.html)
- In addition, WUaS, in seeking to become the Oxbridge, MIT and Harvard of the Internet, can plan to become the 'UP,' career-wise and in terms of excellence, for aspiring faculty, students, researchers, lawyers, medical doctors, staff, poets and musicians (http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/World_University_Music_School), and so many others (WUaS seeks also to become a significant employer worldwide, with an 800 year initial time horizon).
- Research (http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Research): WUaS will seek to develop very long term research projects, and in all languages (for example, in brain and cognitive science as well as consciousness research, among a very great number of other, especially, STEM-related inquiries, and technological innovations and development of devices and information technologies).
Reed College has a large community of great students and of mature faculty and academics, and is also seeking to build Reed's endowment (currently at about 450 million U.S. dollars, with a current staff of about 500), and improve its academics further, as well as build its communities. World University and School can learn a lot from Reed in developing its online community.
Nation States -
Admissions at World University and School Links
World University Medical School -
World University Law School -
Ph.D. Degrees at World University and School -