Friday, February 21, 2014

Western Amazonia: Open Educational Resources' Conversation in Google + group video Hangout earlier, mostly with high school teachers around the U.S. with an interest in digital learning, "The "Why do Open Educational Resources Matter?" Roundtable," Text transcript, Some main, WUaS links in the text chat

Here's an interesting Open Educational Resources' Conversation in Google + group video Hangout earlier, mostly with high school teachers around the U.S. with an interest in digital learning.

(See, too, WUaS's blog - http://worlduniversityandschool.blogspot.com/2014/02/open-educational-resources-conversation.html)

The "Why do Open Educational Resources Matter?" Roundtable"


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y586ZCBuB3I


The "Why do Open Educational Resources Matter?" Roundtable G+ page -
https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cm5g19snt793lhoe7k4ehd6kjd0

Organizing document for this -
http://bit.ly/openroundtable


*

Here's about World University and School from this Roundtable -

12:00 - 15:00 minutes ...

28:00 - 29:00

50:45 - 51:15



*

The College at WUaS (with first matriculating, undergraduate class planned for this autumn 2014) - 

Admissions' page at WUaS - 



*

Thanks for hosting this OER conversation.

You may have saved this already, but here below is the text chat.

Scott


    LIVE
    To list all available commands enter "/?".

    me
    11:15 AM
    Hello all
    Please say again
    nice to be here ... I"m in a cafe
    so won't speak very much

    Erik Hanson joined group chat.

    Erik Hanson
    11:17 AM
    Sorry I was slow getting in...Hangouts , I found are still blocked in my district in my school account.
    Happy to be here. Looking forward to it.

    Ben Wilkoff
    11:21 AM

    Megan Beckett joined group chat.

    me
    11:24 AM
    glad they built in comedy
    :)

    Jennifer Maddrell
    11:24 AM
    has my webcam gone fuzzy for you?

    me
    11:24 AM
    so to speak :)
    yes, Jennifer

    Jennifer Maddrell
    11:25 AM
    hmmm I no idea why?

    Bill Fitzgerald
    11:25 AM
    Jennifer - just add some lens flare!

    Todd Finley joined group chat.

    Diana Laufenberg joined group chat.

    Erik Hanson
    11:36 AM
    Diana...no audio

    Jennifer Maddrell
    11:36 AM
    I can hear her

    Erik Hanson
    11:37 AM
    hmm...I cannot

    Diana Laufenberg left group chat.

    Diana Laufenberg joined group chat.

    Bill Fitzgerald
    11:39 AM
    The three cheeseheads! +++

    Diana Laufenberg
    11:40 AM
    on Wisconsin!

    Erik Hanson
    11:41 AM
    I am assuming that someone is talking?

    Jennifer Maddrell
    11:41 AM
    yes :(

    me
    11:41 AM
    Megan is

    Jennifer Maddrell
    11:41 AM
    I can hear her

    Bill Fitzgerald
    11:41 AM
    I have been a huge fan of Siyavula, for years. Love the community-based approach.

    me
    11:41 AM
    Moi aussi

    Bill Fitzgerald
    11:43 AM
    Megan - I'd also love to hear more about the mechanics of Siyavula's community events.

    me
    11:44 AM
    Here is an example of a Open Educational Resource I'm sharing - MIT OCW-centric 'The College at World University and School' ... http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/The_College_at_World_University_and_School#World_University_and_School_Links . WUaS is like Wikipedia with MIT OCW, with free, C.C., online, university degrees planned.
    Thank you

    Erik Hanson left group chat.

    Erik Hanson joined group chat.

    Diana Laufenberg
    11:46 AM
    Ben def. missed the 1960s
    He might have even missed the 70s too.

    me
    11:47 AM
    Welcome!

    Jane Park joined group chat.

    Jane Park
    11:48 AM
    Hello -- I am joining for Cable Green who can't make it

    me
    11:49 AM
    I just would add that WUaS would like to aggregate most of the OER resources everyone has mentioned, and in all languages.

    Ben Wilkoff
    11:49 AM
    Thank You, Jane.

    me
    11:52 AM
    Is Curriki (sp?) working on this?

    Diana Laufenberg
    11:52 AM
    I wish Curriki had a better interface.

    me
    11:53 AM
    :)
    Wikis, with references, can add quality to the collaborative, when they're engaged.

    Bill Fitzgerald
    11:54 AM
    I also dislike how Curriki blocks access to non-members. It makes the site close to unusable.

    me
    11:55 AM
    ... student wikis, especially ... can anyone think about of examples of this?
    Bill: I like the openness of wikis, in a complementary way

    Ben Wilkoff
    11:56 AM
    Would someone try and go to the event page and try to submit a question to the Q&A.

    me
    11:57 AM
    yes

    Bill Fitzgerald
    11:58 AM
    Ben - just asked question.

    Ben Wilkoff
    11:59 AM
    Thank you!

    Diana Laufenberg
    12:01 PM
    Todd-well said.

    Bill Fitzgerald
    12:01 PM
    What tensions do you see between the licensing terms of iBooks and openly licensed content?

    me
    12:01 PM
    Here's WUaS's beginning High School resources ... http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Courses#High_School_Course_Material_.28Free.29 ... which will be a basis, as we move, to a new wiki will allow many people to add resources.
    It's the main 'Courses' page at WUaS (only in English presently)
    Can't get into the Q&A tool in this browser ...

    Diana Laufenberg
    12:03 PM
    not a huge fan of TPT

    Jane Park
    12:03 PM
    CC follows the Hewlett Foundation's definition of OER: http://www.hewlett.org/programs/education/open-educational-resources

    Erik Hanson
    12:03 PM
    Heard TPT is used more than I would have imagined in the elementary world

    me
    12:04 PM
    Yes, in terms of Creative Commons' licensing - a useful sphere for defining free, in my view - and especially for the developing world ...

    Diana Laufenberg
    12:04 PM
    When I work for the public, what I create is in the public sphere. That is my general feeling.

    Ben Wilkoff
    12:04 PM
    Jane, does your mic work?

    Jane Park
    12:04 PM
    yes

    Megan Beckett
    12:04 PM
    Whatever we do/create with the community is open and free.

    me
    12:07 PM
    Engage C.C. on the one hand, and let OER, as a separate sphere, develop in its myriad ways. What do people think of this?

    Bill Fitzgerald
    12:10 PM
    The differences b/w NY State approach and the Utah approach show two different ways that this can work

    me
    12:10 PM
    On a country by country perspective, in terms of OER and CC, WUaS plans to create a university / school (in main languages there) as wiki ... here's the main Nation States' page at WUaS - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Nation_States ... 242 countries are listed in Wikipedia, and WUaS is planning for these.

    Jane Park
    12:11 PM
    this is a great conversation -- i have to run for a prior commitment. thanks for letting me join!

    Ben Wilkoff
    12:11 PM
    Thank you for coming!

    Jane Park
    12:11 PM
    happy to answer followup questions -- janepark@creativecommons.org

    Jane Park left group chat.

    me
    12:12 PM
    Here's the beginning, in English, 'Educational Resources' wiki page, as a source for tools - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Educational_Software - and another one of nine main pages at WUaS, plannned for most of 7,105 languages.
    Thanks, Jane

    Diana Laufenberg
    12:13 PM
    glue.

    Bill Fitzgerald
    12:13 PM
    "adoption" doesn't need to start with authoring. It can start with collecting openly licensed materials that fills a gap.

    Megan Beckett
    12:13 PM
    The online editor which we are going with moving forward: http://oerpub.org/tools/

    Bill Fitzgerald
    12:14 PM
    Megan - I LOVE the Latex transclusion of that editor!

    me
    12:14 PM
    Thanks, Megan

    Megan Beckett
    12:14 PM
    It is awesome! Probably the best feature!

    Bill Fitzgerald
    12:15 PM
    Yeah - the modified Aloha editor is very nice.
    How do you find git as the backend?

    Megan Beckett
    12:16 PM
    It works really well. We have tried it out by pulling in several of our books which are on github.

    Bill Fitzgerald
    12:16 PM
    Yes - I have seen those :)

    me
    12:17 PM
    Is this it ... http://www.net-texts.com/ ?

    Andrew Marcinek
    12:18 PM
    Yes, Scott

    me
    12:18 PM
    thanks
    Here's the main "Library Resources," wiki Subject page at WUaS - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Library_Resources - which will aggregate online, free, open, (OER) libraries, and in all languages.

    Bill Fitzgerald
    12:19 PM
    Friends don't let friends apply taxonomy prematurely!

    Diana Laufenberg
    12:20 PM
    ;-)

    me
    12:20 PM
    Semantic Wiki has potential here, Bill ... not sure what exactly you mean by taxonomy.

    Bill Fitzgerald
    12:21 PM
    Scott - I'm bullish on https://stanbol.apache.org/

    me
    12:22 PM
    thanks

    Diana Laufenberg
    12:23 PM
    that's a good wisconsiner
    interoperability. is huge.

    Jennifer Maddrell
    12:24 PM
    "we" always have to explain ourselves to others, don't we @diana and @erik

    Andrew Marcinek
    12:24 PM
    In case anyone visits Boston this summer. Dates will follow for 2014 dates http://massdigitalpublication.org/

    me
    12:24 PM
    Languages (7,105) ... where each becomes a wiki school or MIT OCW-centric university .. http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Languages ... with 100s - 10s of thousands of pages.

    Diana Laufenberg
    12:26 PM
    @jennifer we like words, lots of words. :-)

    Erik Hanson
    12:26 PM
    Object interoperability available for subscription and collaboration
    If you silo, allow others to plug in

    me
    12:27 PM
    under one umbrella ... and with an universal translator (building on Google Translate, etc.) ... http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/WUaS_Universal_Translator ...

    Diana Laufenberg
    12:27 PM
    I often say that as well. I am a derivative of my learning space. its a thing. well said, Andy.
    Ben is giving us homework
    boo.
    ;-)

    me
    12:28 PM
    Great and thanks, Ben! Thanks for organizing and hosting this OER conversation.

    Bill Fitzgerald
    12:28 PM
    Can I have my badge delivered with a 6 pack and a pizza?

    Andrew Marcinek
    12:28 PM
    BOO bomework
    it's friday

    Todd Finley left group chat.

    Diana Laufenberg left group chat.

    me
    12:29 PM
    I'll save and send you this text chat in an email, Ben.

    Diana Laufenberg has left the video call.
    2 unread chat messages













    ...




    No comments: