Friday, September 18, 2015
Dear clerk(s) of the Strawberry Creek Dime-A-Gallon Fund,
With Leonard's guidance, I'm resending this rewritten proposal renamed "Green Quaker Great University Brownbag and Online Talk Series".
Friendly-informed CC World University and School, which is like CC Wikipedia with best STEM CC OpenCourseWare, is planning to offer free online CC university degrees, and would like to apply to the Strawberry Creek Monthly Meeting (Quaker) "Dime-a-Gallon" fund - https://sites.google.com/site/dimeagallon/dag-guidelines - to develop a “Green Quaker Great University Brownbag and Online Talk Series.”
World University and School’s project aligns with the “directly reduce the use of fossil fuels,” “support sustainability education,” and “support the healthy interdependence of people with nature,” grant-making goals of the Dime-A-Gallon fund by seeking further to develop a sustainable online environmentally-conscious University and School with this Friendly lecture and conversation series.
Here’s World University’s mission statement for this “Green Quaker Great University Brownbag and Online Talk Series”:
World University is planning free best STEM CC OCW accrediting online degrees, and is a CC free online wiki for open, educational resources, where YOU can teach. The mission of the “Green Quaker Great University Brownbag and Online Talk Series” is to develop Friendly-informed World University to “directly reduce the use of fossil fuels,” “support sustainability education,” and “support the healthy interdependence of people with nature.” With these talks World University seeks to generate a Quaker Great Universities' learning conversation on the web about these themes, which will include a focus on an environmentally activist Friendly academic Internet perspective, engaging Friends' Testimonies broadly construed. In these talks World University seeks also to offer, partly by building out into cyberspace and learning from this, a forum for Friendly thinkers, academics and Quaker graduate students online, for example, to share their environmental activism research in these D.A.G. areas on the World Wide Web and re Friends' education “to align our behavior with our Quaker values,” with Quaker Q&A sharing of ideas to follow presentations.
- How much support is being requested?
5 week lecture series to be streamed online and saved.
Budget detail –
Honorarium to speakers: $50 per talk, or $250 for 5 weeks
Production of “Green Quaker Great University Brownbag and Online Talk Series,” contacting potential speakers around the world, setup with laptops, probably in Google + group video Hangouts, etc. - $670 or $124 per event
Rent in Berkeley Friends’ Meeting new Community Room for Quaker group - $16 per time x 5 = $80
$670 series’ production
World University and School will seek Friendly speakers who are especially reaching out on the web especially to “directly reduce the use of fossil fuels,” “support sustainability education,” and “support the healthy interdependence of people with nature.”
World University engages some of these environmental goals via the following main WUaS Subject pages:
- “Ocean & Climate Management Plan” wiki page and related links at WUaS -
- “Solar Energy” page and related links - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_Energy#World_University_and_School_Links - and for both Solar Vehicle and Electric and Hybrid Vehicle).
- “Energy Courses” World University and School page and links -
- and many other related WUaS wiki pages.
- These "Green Quaker Great University Brownbag and Online Talk Series" events will also be aggregated and curated on a Youtube page, and eventually added in the new upcoming WUaS wiki to the “Quakers – Religious Society of Friends" wiki page at World University and School -
- Are there any opportunities for the Strawberry Creek community to participate in the project apart from donating funding? If the proposal is for a non-Quaker community initiative, are any Strawberry Creek members or attenders already actively involved?
Yes. WUaS would welcome Strawberry Creek members to talk about these SCMM goals to “directly reduce the use of fossil fuels,” “support sustainability education,” and “support the healthy interdependence of people with nature,” with an online Quaker education if possible. I've talked with Leonard Joy about this, and he has encouraged me to submit an application.
- If the project is for individual travel/educational support, how will this experience be re-invested in the meeting and/or enrich the Earthcare witness of other Quaker bodies?
There are many environmentally oriented wiki pages/schools at World University with much MIT OpenCourseWare, which will eventually be for credit, for example.
In addition to presenting, Strawberry Creek Friends and Bay Area Friends are of course very welcome to come to these Brown Bag talks at Berkeley Friends’ Meeting.
Thank you very much for your consideration of this proposal.
- Scott MacLeod - WUaS Founder & President
- Member of San Francisco Friends Meeting
- Tel. 415 480 4577 - P.O. Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
- Friendly-informed World University and School is like CC Wikipedia with best STEM CC OpenCourseWare, and is is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.