Friday, August 26, 2016

Dugong: Berkeley Professor Nelson Graburn has the best understanding of my Harbin ethnographic book of anyone so far, and has read the most of it, I'd say, I finished indexing for the 3rd + time my Harbin book, and it should be available on paper soon at the new Academic Press at World University and School!!!, In addition to beginning to read MIT OCW Anthropology Department books, together with some philosophy, perhaps Kant and Hegel to begin ... How to bring virtual Harbin into some streams of philosophical conversations?


I'd say UC Berkeley Professor of Anthropology Emeritus Nelson Graburn has the best understanding of my Harbin ethnographic book of anyone so far, and has read the most of it too. His writing of its introduction helps focus it especially. {And at some point, I may address this with a complementary alternative interpretation in my 2nd Harbin book.}

And he's also a great academic champion of it, for which I'm very appreciative. Thank you, Nelson!

Here for example are the 2 talks ~

http://www.scottmacleod.com/ActualVirtualHarbinBook.html

~ I've given in the UC Berkeley Anthropology department in recent years - in 2015 (slides) and 2012 (video) - and re ethno-wiki-virtual-world-graphy as a new methodology.


*

But while Nelson is a great champion of it, I don't think he's visited Harbin, and he hasn't really been able to experience "being there" - or, in a sense been able to do his own participant observation field work as a Professor of Anthropology, which I hope to facilitate remarkably in creating a virtual Harbin / virtual Earth for STEM researchers, something like Google Street View with time slider with OpenSimulator (and for brain research also!). This would be film-realistic, 3D, interactive, group build able, STEM precise, in all 7, 943 languages, and with avatars ... and with virtual Harbin one would view it / visit it / be there from one's bath tub from anywhere in the world.

*
Hi Nic,

I think of those British naturalists who traveled far in their gardens, understanding evolution at home for example ... maybe lawn mowing is a related form of travel :-) ... hoping to create a film realistic virtual Earth for STEM research in a related vein ... there are cool places to travel already in Stteet View for example :-)

For example, you can visit the Harbin Gatehouse here -

http://tinyurl.com/p62rpcg 


- and 'walk' down the road to Middletown, California, in Google Street View :) ... but you can't go into Harbin (and this mostly imagery is pre Sept 2015 fire)

The Harbin Gate link is accessible too from my book's web page - 


*
I finished indexing for the 3rd + time my Harbin book, and it should be available on paper soon at the new Academic Press at World University and School!!!


*
I think I'm going to begin to read through MIT OCW's Anthropology books and articles ...

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/anthropology/ ... beginning with Laura Ahearn's book "Invitations to Love: Literacy, Love Letters, and Social Change in Nepal" University of Michigan Press, 2001, which I haven't read yet.


together with some philosophy, perhaps Kant and Hegel to begin ...

How to bring virtual Harbin into some streams of philosophical conversations?


*

Donald!

Nice to get your email!

Your adventures in Apple land from SF sound enhancing ... When will we be able to do something like wiring your living room for any music ever recorded with augmented reality? How soon until we can visit a great virtual Harbin from your living room (not from your bathtub!) - or Brigflats in Cumbria - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigflatts_Meeting_House - for Meeting ... and for the spaciousness of summer (or loving bliss)? Heard back positively about a tenure track MIT Media Lab junior faculty position a few weeks ago: "Start date is flexible but would be January 1st 2017 at the earliest. Pattie" where Pattie Maes, a Belgian, has been a professor there since 1996, and Joi Ito its director since 2011 ... thanks to 3 good recommendations, two from engineers. I'd like to settle on January 1, 2017 and first from out here for some years, if at all possible.

Feeling-wise, received your email - a treat - as I just completed my Harbin book index for the 3rd + grind time - relief - so treated & relieved. My manuscript passed the CreateSpace internal review a few weeks ago otherwise, so I think it should be available on paper soon newly, in 8.5x11 format with about 180 photos! A long journey, and about to begin on a 2nd Harbin book journey. WUaS will be, for a second semester, in a UC Berkeley Law "New Business Practicum" course beginning soon, I'm glad to say.

Grateful for F/friendliness, Scott

*

Hi Nelson, 

Having already passed CreateSpace's internal review, I just submitted my "Naked Harbin Ethnography" manuscript with its Universal ISBN in the Academic Press at World University and School IMPRINT to CreateSpace, and should hear back about this final review within 24 hours - and then my book should be available on paper from my web site - http://www.scottmacleod.com/ActualVirtualHarbinBook.html - and http://amazon.com/author/scottmacleodworlduniversity !

Since I chose the Universal ISBN many months ago to BEGIN the Academic Press at WUaS (planned in all 7,943 languages with machine translation eventually), and CreateSpace/Amazon doesn't allow this Universal ISBN to go through their "Libraries & Academic Institutions" distribution channel, I can apparently create a workaround for this with an ACADEMIC/LIBRARIES' version and get their FREE ISBN which will allow me to distribute my book through their "Libraries & Academic Institutions" channel in this ACADEMIC/LIBRARIES' version - to be seen. (This would mean apparently I would have to change the Universal ISBN in the first print edition to the free CreateSpace ISBN for them to distribute this through their Libraries channel - and libraries wouldn't have the Academic Press WUaS ISBN in their database records). With the Universal ISBN for Academic Press WUaS, I can distribute through 1) Amazon.com, 2) Amazon Europe and 3) CreateSpace eStore and 3 others of their channels. Now to figure out distribution on-the-ground!


 - I'd say you have the best understanding of my Harbin ethnographic book of anyone so far, and have read the most of it too. Your writing of its introduction helps focus my book especially. Thank you!

But as an anthropologist and Professor of Anthropology especially, you haven't been able yet to visit virtual Harbin for a great Harbin experience yet!

And you're also a great academic champion of my book, for which I'm very appreciative. Thank you, Nelson!

Best regards, Scott




*








...

No comments: