Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Big wave surfing: VIRTUAL SURFING & and its women's culture - and in a realistic virtual earth too?, Check out the Harbin Hot Springs' gate here in Google Streetview/Maps/Earth - https://twitter.com/HarbinBook - where you can "walk" down the road 4 miles to Middletown - but can't yet go into Harbin, which my Harbin book explores re "Naked Harbin Ethnography: Hippies, Warm Pools, Counterculture, Clothing-Optionality & Virtual Harbin" : ), But I'm interested in Surfing emerging from the interesting times in California / Hawaii + in the 1960s / 1970s especially, See the Watsu wiki subject - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Watsu_-_water_shiatsu - which started at Harbin), Libraries in all ~8k languages in a realistic virtual earth like Google Streetview/Maps/Earth with TIME SLIDER, so that one will be able to pull books off the shelf from the Free Boston Public Library in the year 1900 and today


Hi M, 

Nice to meet you at TSWG, and thanks for the invitation to the fundraiser in Pacifica on Saturday evening. (My Scottish small pipes' gig in Marin went well). It doesn't look like there's a TSWG this Friday, so I'm emailing you from here too. 

What do you think of the first image in Wikivoyage "Surfing" of this woman -


(was - https://en.m.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Surfing#/media/File%3ASurfer_SealBeach-01.jpg ) - as emblematic of what you're interested in - https://en.m.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Surfing - and wiki surfing-wise too? How could we wiki-create this further in great new ways (and in many languages - an interest of mine)?


I'm curious how surfing will grow in a realistic virtual earth as this develops, such as in Google Streetview. Check out the Harbin Hot Springs' gate here in Google Streetview/Maps/Earth - https://twitter.com/HarbinBook - where you can "walk" down the road 4 miles to Middletown - but can't yet go into Harbin. This virtual experience will improve toward virtual realism and much more with time probably ... and I'm curious how folks, and women surfers, will come to enjoy surfing in dramatically great new ways, virtually, co-creating surfing life online too.

Singing as surfing ? 

Cheers,
Scott


*

Hi Scott,

Thanks for emailing. It was good chatting with you on Friday. My event was great on Sat. hope you had a good set.

Glad you liked the interview on Lady Days and my little surf story. And you checked out my Flickr...I shoot bands, but don't play an instrument. You probably saw photos of my partner's bands on there.

Wikivoyage seems interesting. When I research a story or a topic, I tend to stick to books and libraries so I don't know much about the Wiki-world. The surfing links, to me, don't seem to represent the sport very accurately. Matt Warshaw is a surf historian, but writes from completely male perspective (so not very accurate either, in my opinion).

Are you familiar with vox.com? I'm not, but I read this great article yesterday that is discussing some of shortcomings of new information platforms (maybe similar to wikivoyage?) https://thebaffler.com/salvos/explanation-for-what-johnson The 2 main issues with some platforms that resonated with me in the article are the severe lack of diversity in the writers and content developers and the ways in which opinion is masquerading as fact. I looked up Portugal on Wikivoyage – a place I visited last summer – and found the content to read as bias and opinionated rather than factual and neutral. Not sure if that is what wikivoyage is going for or not?

As for virtual surfing, I don't even like wave pools (a hot new craze in the surfing world), so I doubt I'll be much into the virtual experience. But who knows, I'm open! And I know I could certainly learn much more about, well, virtual everything. So, looking forward to your presentation at TSWG. 

See you next meeting,
M

*
Hi M, 

Thanks for your email as well. Glad your Saturday event was great!

I'd like for World University and School to create online libraries in all ~8k languages in a realistic virtual earth like Google Streetview/Maps/Earth with TIME SLIDER, so that one will be able to pull books off the shelf from the Free Boston Public Library in the year 1900 and today, for example, and read them. (Google Translate is in 103 languages and newly with Google Neural Machine Translation +) ... and even from within augmented reality around us in a 15' cube as light show eventually. 

I haven't tuned into Wikivoyage very much at all, but WUaS and I are quite Wikipedia-centric focused, especially as it grows with structured data and Wikidata in its 358 languages. I think we'll then begin to see some beneficial developments in Wikivoyage that parallel those we may be seeing in Wikipedia editorially these days. And WUaS donated itself to Wikidata, Wikipedia's database in October 2015, and will emerge newly from there soon-ish. So perhaps your students will be able to help develop Wikivoyage at some point - and re Surfing - as well as WUaS, and even for free CC MIT OCW-centric university degrees. 

WUaS's and Wikipedia's a) volunteer wiki editor focus, as well as b) eventually graduate students at WUaS in all 8 k languages may well help develop editorial diversity at WUaS +. 

Online sports are and have been a big thing ... curious to see how they evolve experience wise along the actual - virtual conversation (which my Harbin book explores re Naked Harbin Ethnography: Hippies, Warm Pools, Counterculture, Clothing-Optionality & Virtual Harbin : ) But I'm interested in Surfing emerging from the interesting times in California / Hawaii + in the 1960s / 1970s especially.

Let's start a "Surfing" wiki subject page for open teaching and learning at World University - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Subjects (and to give you an idea of how anyone can create a wiki subject at WUaS with an academic or a creative focus +. For example, see the Watsu wiki subject - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Watsu_-_water_shiatsu - which started at Harbin) - but perhaps after WUaS moves to the new wiki emerging from Wikidata, and thus in many languages.

See you next meeting. 

Cheers, 
Scott






*




...



No comments: