Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pohlia Nutans: Healthy Bodymind First, Exploration of Experience, Culture, Anthropology of Counterculture in the SF Bay Area

Besides a good night's sleep, a healthy bodymind (an ovo-lacto low fat vegetarian-centered diet for me, movement/exercise, a daily multi-vitamin and omege-3 fatty acids), a community of friends, and a rich symbolic life, that can help to make life pain-free, I'm impressed with how people, as I see it, don't move beyond the views they hold, in the context of modernity and evolutionary biology, besides perhaps through reading. How can we (and why don't more of us) explore a rich variety of ways of being - like eliciting loving bliss, naturally, when and as we want it.


Culture plays a role in this, often forming what's possible and not. I'm thinking, for example, of the 1960s and 70s, in which people richly explored an amazingly wider variety of ways of being, often shaped by their imaginations.


I'm amazed, too, at how rich and varied, experientially and culturally, the human record is, and how what I see on in the day-to-day seems to return to kinds of norms, even as though are hybridized, stretched and redefined through time.



*

As part of a kind of anthropology of counterculture, I think I'll develop an anthropology of San Francisco, Berkeley and the SF Bay Area, a little like Genet's "Paris Journals," perhaps.




*

Pohlia nutans Lindberg, 1879


eol.org/pages/883362


Pohlia nutans









(http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2009/09/pohlia-nutans-healthy-bodymind-first.html - September 17, 2009)

No comments: