Sunday, February 24, 2013

Moon walking: Wondrous communitas, - that is sociality - and whenever? Grateful Dead concerts that were great are a reference experience, for those who enjoy the Dead, How to create this at World University and School? Many Earlham College students, in my experience, for example, have come closest to expressing what I mean here in an academic context, How and why does communitas work in academia? It probably has partly to do with the qualities of flow experiences, I'm heading to Dance Church in Santa Cruz today :)


Wondrous communitas, - which is loving sociality and which rocks - and whenever?


Grateful Dead concerts that were great are a reference experience, for those who enjoy the Dead.

http://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Grateful_Dead

How?


*

Communitas:

"Communitas is an intense community spirit, the feeling of great ... solidarity, and togetherness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communitas


*

How to create this at World University and School?

Many, Earlham College students, in my experience, when we've talked, for example, have come closest to expressing what I mean here in an academic context.

How and why does communitas work in academia?

It probably has partly to do with qualities of flow experiences - an absorbed mind and challenge at the right level, - including creative ones.


*

I think Stanford University students have similarly opened far-reachingly to kinds of communitas, academically, especially in the 1960s and 1970s.


*

I'm heading to Dance Church in Santa Cruz today; there's something about alternative culture which can open the way to communitas :) ...


*

Grateful Dead - Fire On The Mountain 12-31-78




http://youtu.be/rNxsL9G9r6g


*

As I parked near Dance Church, Santa Cruz, I saw a few alternative folks, particularly women , in hippy clothes looking for parking, - their colorful clothing a good sign.


When I got to the side, glass door which is the main entrance for Dance Church in Santa Cruz, on the urban Front Street, which seemed to have a towel covering it, around 9:30 am, I was almost too shy to go in. A teenager about 15 years' old rode up on his small, stunt bike and kind of asked randomly to me but indicating inside "do you know if anyone in there has a charger I can charge my cell phone with?" I didn't. He went on, "Maybe I'll have to break into someone's car to charge it" and then rode off ...


There were a lot of dancing folks when I went in. A man whom I had seen at Harbin - maybe sixty five, tall, friendly demeanor, hippy, who may also be active with Unitarians, if I remember correctly - opened a basket smiling for a $10 donation, which I put in.


... and Dance Church was a kind of 'Wondrous communitas, - which is loving sociality and which rocks - and whenever' ... then ... the milieu created it and one could walk in, dance and turn it on ... a quality of communitas ... cool ...:)


And Dance Church was fun - had good energy ... the music and DJ, Patty, were good ... I danced and danced ...


At one side of the room, there was a kind of makeshift, hippy altar, with a basket with a sign that said ~

Prayers
Intentions
Visions

~ and some paper on the very low table to write these on, along with cards, not Tarot, but maybe vision cards ... pick one up, read it, riff  with it, see what meaning it has in your life ... and nearby there was also some fresh, blooming cherry blossoms.

Halfway through the dance, I wrote something on a sheet of white paper about


World University and School
(Google this)
like Wikipedia with MIT OCW
with free, C.C. university degrees,
and with people-to-people schools
in all 7, 413+ languages and 204 + countries.
Online, Free, Universal Education
which we can shape ...
& and a Music School / Jamming
for all instruments in all languages.
Love, S


At the end we all circled together sitting on the floor, most free from dancing ... perhaps 50 people, and shared what came up for us in the dance ... also in a kind of hippy inspired way ... movingly ...


... went to the Santa Cruz Art and History museum after this, - with quite a few 1960s' inspired exhibits - then drove back along W. Cliff Drive and the Pacific Ocean, seeing lots of surfers on a beautiful, February Day ... then back 1 hour and 40 minutes to the Bay Area ...










...

No comments: