Thursday, August 13, 2015

Sunda flying lemur - Colugo (Galeopterus variegatus): Conversation about piano learning, Theorizing and thinking about learning, Enjoyableness, "Lyricalness," Sociality, can be key for me, Guidelines for Practicing a Musical Instrument By Wynton Marsalis and Yo-Yo Ma, Music Playing Spaces on the Internet


Conversation about piano learning, Theorizing and thinking about learning, Enjoyableness is key for me

***

Hi Scott:
I was thinking about our music-making session and you at the keyboard.  I did not feel I really responded to your question as we were in the midst of playing.  A while back, you asked if I would give you piano ideas.  I'm still happy to and have been thinking of some ways..  Would you like to continue with that, or do you prefer to continue on your own?  I say that as in fiddle club, folks oft do not want others' input. 
I read the Yoyo Ma practice suggestions from the link you sent yesterday.  I resonate with most of what he says and note that the first one is 'seek private instruction'.  Myself, I feel that this is key to playing with freedom.  I"ve had lots of private lessons on piano and quite a bit on violin - and hopefully am not done.  I see all the work you have put into the pipes.  It's most impressive, so I can't help intuiting that you likely agree.
Anyhoo, let me know if we should do some piano together with you in mind.  It's good for me too as I've always been interested in teaching and am open to new ways to do this.  Keeping in mind of course that I'm moving into new areas with paino, myself.
All for now,
Barb


*
Guidelines for Practicing a Musical Instrument
By Wynton Marsalis and Yo-Yo Ma

http://scottmacleod.com/GuidelinesPracticingMusicalInstrument.htm

*

Hi Barb,

Thanks ... successful instruction is an interesting process as a learner (as well as thinking through what this is)... yes, I'd like to take piano lessons and probably engaging the structure of and coming into conversation with Tricia Woods' blues piano book, Vols 1-3,  even (because I like playing the blues - another lyricality thing)  but socially (and with SCD piano playing in the back of my mind as well) ... but ... so won't entertain the idea of lessons for awhile.

I'm also seeking instruction musically that works in the very moment that I'm asking the question with understanding (and not with a kind of "authoritarianism" without understanding for the learner which often seems part of instructing).

The daily (*social) very enjoyable lesson if feasible has much appeal. (And the web increases feasibleness in many ways).

Let's talk further about this with time.


*
Hi Scott:

Well, your reply is more heady than I was expecting -  but plenty of food for thought in your comments.  My offer was really just a heartfelt offer - no monetary exchange.  I thought it would be just a once in a while thing for brief moments (e.g. before we all play together)  a something to work with for you to add to whatever else you do.  I do hope you do not think I would be authoritarian, that sounds dreadful!  I agree it is nice to ask questions in the moment, however, in practical life, that is not always available to us.  I know at camps, I've oft had to note my questions and think about who to ask later on.  I think many styles of interactive learning can serve us.  You seem to be so familiar with internet learning.  It's still new for me.  I'm open to it but not familiar with it yet as you are.
I'll take a look at Tricia's blues books as I don't know them but might like them myself.  I'm trying to learn new ways of playing and approaching learning myself.  Right now, I'm just experimenting with playing and learning in different ways on my own.  It's been fun.
Ok, we can continue with time.


*
Hi Barb,
Thanks for your thoughtful and engaging reply.
Co-lessoning is a novel idea vis-a-vis RC (Re-evaluation Counseling) even ... but how best to explore this so it's generative and even conveyed through the music-making itself ... ?
A regular internet music playing space might allow for such co-lessoning as question-asking and answering in more frequent ways than once a week.
Here's a blog post about Music Playing Spaces - with an internet video - from a few years ago ... http://worlduniversityandschool.blogspot.com/2012/06/music-playing-spaces-on-wednesdays-and.html ... but I'll explore asking some questions of you occasionally when we making music together if I may.

Music Playing Space 1 December 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX79AzS-c4Q

A first question of mine ...
How do I get both my hands going - playing - rhythmically - so probably slowly -  but very simply so that it provides a basis for further development of two-handed playing with other instruments, say in the context of Monday evening SCD? It's possible in the waltzes etc but I can't build this basic two hand rhythmic basis with the faster music yet ... so much so that developments haven't occurred .. but I could if I learned how ... say with 1 finger on each hand even, so very simply :)
What I like about SCD on Mondays playing base lines ... is that it happens so easily ... but it hasn't otherwise for me in almost 3 years surprisingly become the basis for two handed rhythmic playing with all of you for example ... so ...

How do I get both my hands going - playing - rhythmically - so probably slowly -  but very simply so that it provides a basis for further development of two-handed playing with other instruments, say in the context of Monday evening SCD?

One answer is kind of in Yo-yo Ma's Guidelines - 

Looking forward to finding a key to unlock this puzzle :)

And looking further to communicating further about this with time :)
Cheers,
Scott


-  Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
412 478 0116
http://scottmacleod.com
http://worlduniversityandschool.org
-  World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization, both effective April 2010. 


*
Hi Barb,
Interesting that Marsalis and Ma say this:

"5 Relax and practice slowly.

6 Practice hard parts longer"

(here - http://scottmacleod.com/GuidelinesPracticingMusicalInstrument.htm)
and not "Play hard parts slowly" - which I had thought they meant ...
I also have ambivalence to practicing in general which is why great lessons and these guidelines are great.

On with recording my piping tune today (https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ScottMacLeodMusic/posts) ... and perhaps I'll get into recording a piano tune eventually for daily play and focus ... :)

Musical cheers,
Scott



*




...


No comments: